Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric_sean

Money Tree seems to be dying......

eric_sean
14 years ago

We purchased a "money tree" a few months ago from the mall. The lady at the store said to water it once a month. We also has someone tell us to water once a week. The 1st couple months it seemed to doin ok...no new growth but it looked healthy. I started noticing the leaves starting to wilt. Over the weekend the leaves turned brown and fell off. The stalks of the tree look as if the are drying out and they are kinda spongy. Not sure what to do from here. Could it be saved or is it a casualty. If anyone can help it would be grealty appreciated.

Comments (6)

• ryanbonsai
    14 years ago

i have a friend who has a money tree and it is very healty

He does not water it too often but i think "once a month" is not enough..

it is winter so they grow very little...

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Spongy trunks, eh?
    Define "spongy." It's usually a bad sign.
    Pachira, from wet areas in South America, prefers to be completely irrigated and then allowed to drain - flooded, and then drained.

Watering will depend upon the soil conditions and the plant's vigor (largely determined by the time of year). During the summer, I might water my Pachira every 2 - 5 days depending upon the temperatures. During the winter, I water approximately every 5 - 10 days.

My advice is to remove the Pachira from its container to evaluate the root health. Report back, and we'll tell you where to go from there. I also included a link to a Thread below, where many folks have discussed sick Money Trees.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Sick looking braided Money Tree

• eric_sean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Spongy or maybe I should have said "mushy". Looking at it a little closer today I noticed that out of the 5 or 6 stalks or trunks that are there only 1 looks healthy. It is still green and the stalk or trunk is firm. Thanks for the help. I'll take it from the pot and report back.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

One healthy trunk is usually all that survives...
    my brother's Pachira started out as a five-trunk grouping, braided of course. Slowly but surely, the trunks began to succumb to rot; until only one trunk was left. This poor plant received hardly any light, yet it struggled on for several years. During that time, my brother knocked a leaf off and gave it to me in some generic, mushy potting soil in a plastic cup-bottom without drainage. Magically, it rooted, and grew into the plant I have today - which is the only Money Tree I've ever grown. Anyhow, enough reminiscing! ;)

This is all to say that Pachira is surprisingly tough....as long as it isn't drowned in thick, peat-based potting soil.

Separate the healthy trunk from the others (toss 'em), and wash the oil soil off of the roots. You'll want to have a container ready, even if it's only temporary. At this time of year, the plant is going to sulk after the re-potting, regardless. But you can minimize the shock by exposing the roots as briefly as possible. And use warm water when rinsing the roots and when you water the re-potted plant.

What sort of ingredients do you have to make a potting mix?

Josh

• bamboo_turtles
    14 years ago

In my experience , " money trees " are best grown outdoors in that full hot sun . I also grow them hard . I have a few different species of Pachi's . I even have one or two of those comical money trees , they never did to well indoors , even by the sunny window . I live in san diego so I'm sure this growing techique wouldn't work in the northern or midwestern states ?
    I have always wondered about the braided trees , do the trunks eventually choak each other ? or do they grow together like the braided ficus trees ?

Sponsored