Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify Bonsai

Posted by lalexander0504 KY (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 4:04

I purchased this bonsai today and did not get much information from the retailer, as I didn't know the questions to ask until now. Can someone please tell me what type of tree this is? Also, there is a lot of conflicting information out there about soil, watering, using moss, etc. What are some of the best and most accurate sources for bonsai information? This tree was a medium size one for $85 and I believe it was either 11 or 13 years old. I have felt the soil and it seems to be wet, so I will monitor it for now to see how quickly it gets dry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify Bonsai

Reminds me a bit of my juniper...which is a procumbens variety. I have found bonsainut.com a very good source of information with the search engine there.

o

Thank you. It is 11 years old. I've noticed that there is some brown underneath, but not on top. In addition, if I cut off any of the brown, it will be eliminating some very large, green leads because the brown is at the base of some of the branches. What can I do to resolve this? I don't think I'm overwatering. I mist it a little daily but don't actually put a significant amount of water in the soil with feeling it first to make sure its completely dry. The brown was there when I got it, as I got it a few days before my original post. If I need to repot in a better mix, I am willing to do that if I can find a good source on how to repot. This is my first bonsai and first planting experience in general so I don't want to kill it by repotting it incorrectly. I know keeping it outdoor is ideal. The gentlemen I bought it from had several that he has grown and said he kept them indoors. We will be moving out of our apartment in April so if it can hold on until then I will transition it to outside. For now, I have it under a fluorescent lamp. Any other recommendations or sources? I'll be really disappointed if I kill it, especially with how expensive they are. Overall, minus the brown, it seems to be in good health. Since I've bought it, it has grown some and needs some trimming to maintain the shape, so I don't think its on death row. The brown just concerns me. But the branches seem strong, you can gently pinch off some of the brown needles and maneuver the tree without any significant parts falling off or clearly brittling away.

o

Do not keep it indoors. Junipers are very picky about this. Find a spot out side and keep it there till you see new growth, you will not see this till next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here