Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
juniper bonzai

Posted by jmhelm none (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 11:02

i recently purchased a juniper bonzi. i have read that it should it be kept outside so that it can go dormant in the winter months. true or false. do i continue to water it while it is outside? Please advise jmhelm@sbcglobal.net thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: juniper bonzai

Where do you live (state, north or south) because that's important in re watering and winter protection.

And btw, it's bonSai, not bonzai or bonzi (not a Japanese suicide practice, but a tree growing practice... very different! :-).

This post was edited by moochinka on Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 19:03

o

I've been wondering the same about juniper bonsai. I bought a juniper at a nursery in October (clearance price!) and cut it down to a pretty little bonsai. Now I'm wondering if I dare keep it on our outdoor balcony on the 37th floor in Manhattan. It gets very, very windy there and I think it could just dehydrate and die, though it would be covered in snow much of the time. Maybe if I put it out in a New York winter it will be bonzai and not bonsai!!
David Tillyer

o

Hi Dtillyer,

I have a juniper Bonsai and i keep mine protected on the ground with somme mulch around it to kept it isulataded, so even if you keep it on you sill, you could still keep it tucked in and probobly not have any issues...just give it some snow evey once in a while and it well do very well for you. Just give it somme proctection and it

should be fine.. if you put it out in New york it

will be ' bonsai' more or less 'bone.. sigh'' as

pronounced... ;-)

Keep it from the strong winds and keep it secluded from the harsh elements.. it should so fine for you!!!

Good Luck!!!

Laura

o

i need some help i got a bonsai about two months ago its been dooing great but now it looks like the needles are turning purple and becomeing ver brittle what am i doing wrong and it is inside and its a juniper

o

Are you feeding and what with Aaron ?, the purpley bluish colouring is usually a sign of overfeeding. What is the tree planted in soil wise, free draining medium is usually the best

o

Aaron, Juniper doesn't survive indoors.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here