Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul3636

Dawn Redwood chop

paul3636
12 years ago

I just purchased an 8 foot Dawn Redwood tree. It is 3 inches at soil line without scraping off any topsoil and in a 5 gal. black plastic nursery pot. It was a $30.00 end of the year special that I couldn't resist.

My question is - When is the best time to chop, now or in the spring. If in the spring should it be re-potted at the same time or wait till the following year to re-pot when it has regained vigor (I hope).

Paul

Comments (17)

• paul3636
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One more question.
    Could it be air layered now and chopped in the late spring????

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

You might still be in the safe zone for air layering (usually an over summer or over winter thing but not sure on redwoods)

You will probably want to put it in more soil for now, since you're going to try air layering and you can reduce the soil after you do your chop.

Here is a link that might be useful: Redwood Bonsai

• paul3636
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good link with the info I need to proceed.
    I feel that since I'm going to chop any way there is nothing to lose by air layering.
    Thanks again for the link.
    Paul

• ryan_tree
    12 years ago

No, now is NOT the time to begin an air layer. Air layers are done when the tree is actively growing. The tree is preparing to go dormant now and the air layer would/will fail. Don't do it until spring.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ryan

If the air layer is done in late February and the chop in late April or May the tree will still have time to recover and grow. Should I re-pot at that time or wait until the following spring????

Paul

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

It might vary on where you live, being in So Cal. an overwinter air layer is actually possible and the two times you would want to start are in the spring and in october.

The only thing is, as the guy noted in the article, the air layering on the redwood is expected to take over a year.

If you have a hard date in mind for the chop, you might as well try anyway since you're going to chop it off. The worst that will happen is that you end up throwing away the section you were going to toss in the first place.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ryan And Wiz

Air layered it On 11/07/11.
    I don't want to wait until spring to air layer and wait another year for a chop. If it doesn't take I have lost nothing since I'm going to chop anyway.
    If it takes I'll let you know. If It doesn't i wont. :-)

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

You might want to tell us if it doesn't as well so we can see if it won't work in colder climates.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK.
    I tried it last year with a Japanese maple and it did root but when it was taken from the mother tree the roots fell of with the soil. This time the rooting medium is a mixture of fine turface and moss instead of all fine turface and it is in a pot Instead of wrapped in Plastic. .
    I'll be more careful if it roots

• ryan_tree
    12 years ago

It's becoming winter, the tree is going to drop leaves and stop with growth. Air layers work best in the spring. You'll probably just end up chopping it.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So I don't mislead anyone, the maple was done at the end of September and we had a mild fall.
    That's about a month and a half earlier. It was also well protected.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ryan and Wiz
    2 months have gone by since the air layer.
    For what it's worth there are buds above and below the air layer.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Many nurseries have young dawn redwoods. The one I purchased was an end of the year special, probably 50 percent off. Try on route one north of Boston near Topsfield, "Wolf Hill". They have 2 nurseries, If one does not have it they may be able to get it from the other. Most nurseries have put the trees away for the winter but they start taking stock out sometime in march. It may be worth a call.

>

• paul3636
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ryan And wiz.
    The buds above and below the air layer are starting to swell, when should i start checking for roots.

• ryan_tree
    12 years ago

Don't worry about checking for roots for a while. It needs much more time. You'll be able to see roots forming through the moss. "Checking" will only mess things up.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your reply
    Paul

• paul3636
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did chop off the air-layer and as we speculated there is no roots but it had started to callus so Rootone was applied again and the top was potted anyway.
    The main tree is well branched with a lot of healthy leaves (needles??) so I think I'll re-pot unless someone tells me it's to late.

Paul

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!