Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Maple seedlings

Posted by sheri_bonsai 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 07 at 11:46

Hi everyone,
I was blessed to have produced some trident maple and Amur maple, and Chinese Lacebark Maple and a couple of other seedlings this summer. Now I am in a panic as to how to overwinter them for my future bonsai projects. I have them in the " chicken coop" i.e. outdoor shed with windows. Then I was going to move them to our 150 farmhouse basement with lighting. Do they need to lose their leaves and go dormant, or should I try to grow them all winter this year and work on the dormacy next year when they are bigger? Our winters can be very tough on plant material. Thanks Sheri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Maple seedlings

Hi Sheri, I always advocate the more "natural" way of treating plants, which would mean exposing them to winter this year. Of course, you want to make sure they are hardy for your zone first. What stage are they in right now? Are their exposed to colder nights? Have their leaves started to change color? How well insulated is your chicken coop? Is that basically an indoor situation? If they are currently in a warm "indoor" situation than it may already be too late to be moved outside this late in the year. On the other hand, if they are somewhat exposed to cooler day and night temperatures than they should be getting ready to slow down for winter, in which case you could bury the pots in the ground outside in a sheltered spot and mulch them well, so the roots are not so exposed to the freezing weather. Keep them out of direct sunlight and wind. if you get a lot of snow I would let them get buried in that, it makes for great insulation. Whichever way you decide to go, good luck with your seedlings. Let us know how you proceeded and how it turned out.
Marc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here