Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown Needles on my Juniper Procumbens nana

Posted by vrejb Los Angeles, CA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 07 at 13:37

The needles on my tree that are closest to the branches/trunk are dead and brown (but still on the tree). I found a thread from another forum (not bonsai) that said the needles on the inside die off and new growth is found on the outside. Does this apply to my tree as well? And another bit of info is that I'm not sure whether the browning is recent, or I just discovered it. I've only had the plan for a few weeks and hadn't looked at all parts of the plant closely till today.

I'm a total novice here, but I live in Los Angeles, Keep my tree away from any artificial air, lives on my windowsill and gets a few hours of sunlight a day, and I only close my window at night when I sleep. If the tree is dying I'd rather give it away than watch it die slowly, any opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown Needles on my Juniper Procumbens nana

Unless you plant it straight into the ground yesterday (no pot!) it'll be gone very shortly. Junipers have no business indoors, and 'a few hours of sunlight a day' is not helping anything, neither is the (likely) cheapo, water holding potting soil it probably came in (vs mostly grit that conifers need for fast drainage), nor would be the layer of glued on pebbles your tree may have come with (and that should be pried up and discarded). The brown needles you see now may only be last year's castoffs, but could also be due to much too frequent watering, with the pot sitting in drain water and rotting roots, as well as lack of all the good things being outdoors will give it (that you can't duplicate inside). Go to www.bonsai4me.com for basic generic care, www.evergreengardenworks.com for lots of great info on (mostly) outdoor bonsai, and www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html re growing tropicals indoors. Those are some starter places, but a local club is definitely the best place to learn, so try to find one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here