Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Manzanita - yamadori

Hi, folks!

I'm wondering if anyone has experience collecting or attempting to collect wild manzanita? And, if so, are there varieties that are more tolerant of root disruption?

Thanks in advance!

Josh

Comments (12)

• buddaboy
    16 years ago

If I remember correctly, aprox 9 out of 10 collected trees do not survive. Chances of survival are increased by collecting from low lying areas. These are more likely to have shallow root systems due to the availability of moisture. Dry areas can encourage deeper root systems. You can do certain things to encourage shallower root systems, but as with everything else bonsai time is needed. I reccomend Bonsai4Me.com for tutorials. I have collected figs from palms, gutters, & other trees. I have not had the nerve to try digging up from the wild.
    Hope this helps,
    Ron

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Ron, you've confirmed my suspicions.
    And thanks for the tutorial recommendation, too!

Josh

• gregb_2007
    16 years ago

Josh--so you're giving up after receiving advice from someone in Australia who has never had the nerve to collect anything? His advice about collecting in low lying areas is bass-ackwards from the way it really is.

First off--where do you live? Must be someplace where the manzanita attract attention. My guess is somewhere in CA. If so, obtaining permission to collect is important. I have been working with manzanitas since the early '90's and have to say that they are not an easy species to work with but they are possible. Have you got any experience collecting from the wild? I'll check back to this thread to see if you've answered these questions before I type any more.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, Greg!
    No, I'm not giving up! Infact, I've just collected an incense "cedar" and an alder and blackberry (from a friend's property by permission, indeed!).

I'm in northern California, in the Sierra Nevada foothills above Sacramento. Manzanita seem to grow everywhere here, although not all specimen are equal. Some form nearly homogenous red stands that are incredibly striking; whereas others, solitary, seem to eke out an existence in cracks and hillsides. Either way, their writhen limbs, their full or flaking bark, their "dead" portions, their limited foliage, et cetera, would seem to make them prime candidates for wild bonsai.

However, I've heard that manzanita doesn't tolerate disturbance to its roots or soil, and so I figured that a manzanita would be an especially hard plant variety to collect. Seems as though one would need to isolate a very large amount of the parent soil to preserve the roots.

I have some experience collecting plants in general, but none in a specific bonsai context.

Thanks, I look forward to more!

Josh

• gregb_2007
    16 years ago

Josh--before we get started, I'm curious as to the source of your information about their being hard to collect, because I think they're easier than pines in some respect. Seek out the solitary ones that are growing in association with a solid rock substrate--no cracks. You might spend a long time searching for this particular situation but it will be worth it in the end. You will find those growing on solid granite to have entirely captive root systems. Sometimes you may find a thick anchor root trailing off but you will know it when you have found one. Inspect the edge of the root pad to see if there are feeder roots present. They can be transluscent white, pink or yellow ochre in color. Mature roots are the same color as the bark. Only collect after there has been significant rain and allow about a week after the rain has ceased to collect; this gives the feeder roots time to grow and become active. You will need a flat pry bar to slip under the rootpad and gently pry it up and off the rock. Be sure to have an old pair of concave cutters to cut any anchor roots that may keep the tree from coming loose easily. I like to use burlap to tie the rootball up with and place this in a trash bag to keep the roots moist.

When you get it home, build a box for the rootball that is only slightly larger than the rootball itself. I use 1/4" pumice to pot the tree in and make sure that it is tied in securely while it's making new roots. This just a general condensed version of the proper way to do this sort of thing. If you get GSBF's Golden Statements, you can contact the editor, Carl Morimoto, and he will be happy to send you an interview of my work with collected manzanita that appeared in the Sept./Oct. issue. I believe it will cost you all of $5...WHAT A DEAL!!!

• mmckee
    16 years ago

Does anyone have an idea on how to preserve the bark color on a dead manzanita??
    I had a great plant in my yard, but swimming pool construction equipment took out half of it some time ago,
    and the rest was taken out in a winter storm which blew my fence onto it.
    I'd like to now create a wall-art piece with it.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

• Lexyrich_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Where can i find manzanita around vegas?

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, Alexis, I wish I knew.
    I don't spend time in Vegas...but maybe someone will see this Thread and offer a tip.
    I'd guess that most nurseries will carry some variety. What sort of Manzanita are you looking for?

Josh

• bonsaikc
    13 years ago

Aren't Manzanita a protected species in the Sierras? I'd be very careful to get proper permissions to collect. As to preserving the color of the bark, it's much like juniper bark in that you can clean it of older bark to reveal the redness, and for show, you can wipe it with a cloth with some vegetable oil to shine it and make it as red as in the wild.

Deadwood is treated with lime sulfur just like junipers.

Here is a link that might be useful: bonsaikc.com

Original Author
    13 years ago

This is an old Thread. Permission's been covered.

Manzanita grow wild here. I wouldn't be traveling into the Sierras to dig one, regardless.
    I'd be digging locally.

Josh

• chasnsx_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have photos of a collected Manzanita yamadori bonsai on my site. Not my tree -- it belongs to a friend who collected it in Arizona.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manzanita Bonsai

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting the link, Charles, and thanks for sharing all that information.
    The Manzanita are all blooming around here, large and small-leaf varieties.

Your pic makes me want to try one....

Josh

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions