Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tyler_23

From one beginner to another

tyler_23
16 years ago

If you are anything like me you want a beautiful bonsai now. Your enthusiasm for this new project is unbounded

and you want to chop and prune and wire and instantly create a specimen with moss, ornamental stones, overhead lighting in a classic pot worthy of display at the finest bonsai shows. You picture yourself casually snipping the branch tips back to maintain this emerging horticultural treasure while offering up sage advice to some hapless newbie. If this is you I offer the following.

The hobby you are dabbling with is part of a venerable tradition centuries and millenia old and that small plant you are looking at could very well outlive you. Each branch, regardless of its present puniness could grow to be a very important aspect of future design so remember wu-wei (doing by not doing).

If you are going to embark on this journey I suggest a couple things.

Get a sprayer.

This is nice to have because it can be difficult to just leave the plant alone. You can spray the plant almost anytime without doing the same kind of harm that thoughtless pruning can do. But of course each plant tolerates different levels of moisture.

Get raffia and garden stakes.

Bending branches to get a better view of branching structures is almost always better than hacking away at obscuring branchlets.

Grow stock plants.

Plant some outside so that they can grow a big root system to support a big canopy and in turn grow thick trunks. You will be happy you did when you've gained a little experience and the time comes to work on these.

Get a few plants to work on.

Use transplanted garden plants like geraniums to practise your pruning and branch shortening (they are very forgiving). A fuchsia transplanted from a hanging basket is a fast grower with a woody stem that lends itself to cascade style. It is also very forgiving.

Learn about water.

Each plant has different watering and feeding needs depending on the species, the time of year, and its growth phase. More of a good thing isn't necessarily a good thing.

Just look at the plant.

The longer you look at a particular plants leaf, branching and trunk structures, the more apparent the style to be pursued. Remember you are working with nature and emulating natural processes to create the desired shape.

Get a forgiving plant to mangle.

Losses are inevitable in this hobby. You would much prefer to lose a geranium than a ten year old ficus you got for Christmas. Get a garden plant and take it out of the pot. Tease out the roots and remove the soil. Practice root and branch pruning. Remove half of the branches and half the root system. Repot with well draining soil. Water well and wait.

Read, read, read.

Ask questions.

Look at masterpieces.

Look at similar art forms (penjing, suiseki, bonseki, etc.)

Enjoy your hobby.

Comments (12)

• lucy
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm very curious as to what you base some of your tips on, such as 'get a sprayer'. That's not the way to humidity most trees. Occasionally very fine misting is recommended, and certainly humidity tray rigs, but spraying has been shown to encourage mildew on the soil, but not to humidify well as the spray dries so quickly it has little effect on the foliage. "Bending branches to get a better view of branching structures is almost always better than hacking away at obscuring branchlets." This is just bizarre and not good bonsai practice. "Garden stakes"?? Why? "Learn about water" - learn what?

• tyler_23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I suppose this is advice I wish I got a couple years ago. I never hurt a leaf with the sprayer, but I've certainly removed many a branch with the pruners so whenever I get the bonsai bug, I'm sure to reach for the sprayer first. Mildew has not been a problem for me but I guess that could change. When I am in front of a bonsai stock plant I usually want to see the trunk and branch line clearly so I can visualize more options for design. Raffia wrapped around branches and tied to garden stakes is the means to that end. Early bending seems to create more shape in the branches and trunk. If that's bizarre or not good please fill me in. As for the water comment, well I'm an erratic waterer preferring random spot watering and occasional soaking to a regimen of strictly intervalled drenchings. That said,when I get the bug, I have soaked when I should have spotted and vice versa and have thus learned the goldilocks lesson about the just right amount of water. I hope that other beginners out there would heed my bend instead of prune and mist instead of snip and possibly avoid the more harmful aspect of the bonsai bug. Thanks.

• dlksr
    16 years ago

Tyler 23,
    Don't worry I caught your drift. As for me I use a sprayer for applying pesticides, and foliar feeding. I also watch my watering. Funny that in hot weather you need more than in cool rainy weather.

You can be as fancifull as you please with the style in which you write. There are those of us that can read between the line's. We can see the origins from which you speak and aren't threatened that you'll lead us a stray with all your well wishing mumbo jumbo.

Take care DLKSR

• lucy
    16 years ago

I just am trying to visualize the bend-instead-of-pruning thing and it seems like apples and oranges to me. One is used for shaping whatever branches you want to keep and style, the other for thinning, encouraging new growth and styling, and neither is mutually exclusive. Certainly you should water according to need, not some schedule, and if you have good instincts, that's great. I also do understand not giving in to the "I just got a bonsai now what should I cut off" thinking (Karate Kid syndrome :-), it all just came across a little odd at first.

• tyler_23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The bending and wiring gives me a clear look at the sub-branching which can be hard to see in a densely foliated tree. I like to try to move towards a bonsai that would emulate a tree that has encountered ideal growing conditions and how I can bring out the specimens natural shape in a pleasing bonsai. Right now my main concern is for a five branched lavender. I've bent all five branches outwards to get a clearer view of the centre which will show me the secondary branches. Also this spreading increases the growing surface area for next years growth. IF my response seemed defensive it was. The bizarre label left me feeling as if I were some sort of bonsai deviant. In fact I'm interested in a more multidisciplinary approach to my work and intend to use arborsculptural elements with classic bonsai techniques to bring about something a little different. Thanks

• buddaboy
    16 years ago

Tyler,
    I have found the best way to fight the pruning bug, is to start out with many cheap plants & a couple of nice bonsai. When the bug hits me I prune & shape & love & hate my "sacrifice" trees. I have been lucky enough to have found bulk lots of trees on ebay (In Australia) for as little as $1:25 US per tubestock tree. It is always a learning experience, despite whether they are successful or not.
    Ron

• tyler_23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks buddaboy. A whole slew of geraniums will be my sacrifice plants. I've thought more about why I bend the branches and trunks. I heard that people that work with field grown nursery stock push and pull trees to mimic very strong winds and thus strengthen the roots and trunk. I figure that bending the branches on potensai serve a similar purpose.

• bonsaikc
    16 years ago

Tyler,
    Your post seems very familiar to me. Not because I have read it before but because I have read it all before. I think you have some interesting ideas, but none of them are new.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel (do you have any photos of geranium bonsai?) because as you said, this art form is centuries old. I recommend instead of going it alone and making it up as you go, is to look around on the web at www.bonsaitalk.com, www.bonsainut.com, www.bonsaichat.org, www.internetbonsaiforum.org, and www.bonsaisite.com, all interactive forums with a tremendous amount of information, good, bad, and ugly. Then see if you see trees you like. If you do, find a teacher who can show you how to achieve these things. You will save yourself years of disappointment and frustration. Trust me. I speak from experience.

• tyler_23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks bonsaikc. I've been researching bonsai on the net and surf many forums on a variety of horticultural techniques. Luckily I've begun correspondence with a couple more experienced enthusiasts and it has been a fruitful endeavour. My geranium 'bonsais' are only a year old and probably don't qualify as bonsai just yet. I adore the many masterpiece galleries out there and use them a lot. Thank you for the references for specific bonsai forums. Some of them I'll be visiting when I finish typing this message.

• tyler_23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:21215}}
    {{gwi:21217}}

• buddaboy
    16 years ago

Tyler, Nice Pics mate. ;)

• patzcuarense
    14 years ago

My, quite a spirited bunch you are! That's good!

Short story: I live in Patzcuaro (southern Mexico in the mountains). I went to visit a new friend recently. Her gardener was in the process of cutting down a long hedge of boxwood - with lobbers - down to the ground. He had a bonfire going over to the side and was tossing the happless shrubs into the fire. He had only 4 to go before I came to the rescue. My reward? Three VERY nice boxwoods; one measures 11.5 cm at the base, all with beautiful trunks. Fabulous! I estimate they must be at least 7-8 years old.

Question: There are "blank spots" on the trunk that really need an extra branch or two. Short of "threadgrafting," are there any suggestions for encouraging such growth?

Gracias.

Sponsored