Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gessiegirl

Rules of grafting

gessiegirl
16 years ago

Hi folks,

I've lived pretty intimately with trees for a little over 60 years now and used to even graft trees when I was a kid just for the challenge of it. But I've never quite figured out the rules for which cultivars grow out true from cuttings and/or air layering and which ones must be grafted. I know species will always grow as species, and I understand about grafting to get, say, four different colors of azalea blossoms on one trunk. But what about hybrids? Here's what brought up my question: My sister has a lace leaf maple. My understanding is that I'll need to graft a cutting onto the root stock of another maple to get a lace leaf. But why won't a cutting just stuck in the ground or a rooting mix produce a lace leaf? And why do hybrids of some other plant species grow out true without grafting? (I know that with African violets, a rooted leaf might or might yield plantlets with the same genetic makeup as the parent, but it probably will. Suckers and bloom stalks will reliably produce offspring like the parent.) Would somebody clue me in on these rules of grafting? Thank you!

Betty in Arkansas with golden sunshine causing the multicolored Bradford pear trees outside my office window to glow as if they're afire

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County