Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus benjamina ' gensing ' roots ?

Posted by bamboo_turtles California (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 26, 09 at 16:17

I have a few medium size Ficus benjamina ' gensing ' that have decent thick roots BUT I want to really get them big , plump and sexy . In Sept of this year I repotted all of them in a ten inch pot , they seem to have some room to grow . My question is this , how do I get those lovely roots big ? Do I grow them hard ? Do I had anything to the soil ? Food recommendations ? Anyone have any tips or experience with Ficus roots ?
Cheers !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus benjamina ' gensing ' roots ?

No matter what else you do it will take time. You've helped it along by moving them into bigger pots, that's a good thing. The other is allowing them to go vertical as much as possible; the taller you allow a tree to grow the more it will fatten the trunk and surface roots...but still, over time.

While this is going on you can, of course, pick the front-style what will be the final design and (pretty important) figure out where the apex will be in the future and where you will make the cut to top it when it's ready. Actually, after a few years, you can have it to the point where the final tree has it's branches wired and refined to the point that all you have to do is make the final 'top' cut and finish styling the apex.

By this time you will have raised the tree a few times, continued to expose surface roots and it should be about ready to pot.

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here