Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gone Out of Business!!

Posted by mganga_mulapali MD (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 29, 06 at 16:24

I wonder if any clubs or persons have found a good way to dispose of a collection of someone who is unable to care for their trees, or has died. Touchy subject, but as I look around I see a lot of elderly artists and old collections. I have seen and had to care for collections after the death of a person who passed away, and family and friends were not interested in maintaining the collection. In some cases an attempt was made, but after seeing the work watering, pruning and winterizing, the person gave up and abandoned the trees or contacted the club for disposal.
Has anyone or a club found a good way to pre-plan for their demise and the disposession of the collection?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gone Out of Business!!

I personally haven't had to deal with this sort of situation, but I have heard that "redistribution" of bonsai is generally best through the person's club or through close bonsai friends/aquaintances. Family may or may not be the best method (as you mentioned, as members may not be particularly interested/skilled/devoted). Another way is to a local (public) bonsai collection, perhaps at a conservatory or arboretum.

- Audric

o
RE: Gone Out of Business!!

In my experience, people tend to auction the bonsai. It is the fairest way of redistributing the trees, and serves the added benefit of raising some case (in some cases a LOT of cash) for survivors who would otherwise not be interested in the trees.

- Alex
www.bonsainut.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here