Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dpscholastic1

Need help with Tsukumo Dwarf Sawara Cypress

dpscholastic1
16 years ago

Hi folks,

I've been reading these forums for a bit now, finally decided to become a part of the community. You guys have a good thing going here!

About two weeks ago I purchased a Tsukumo Dwarf Sawara Cypress from a local (reputable) garden supply store. It's small, currently rooted in a 4" red plastic cup, and was labelled "Fanciful Holiday."

(All the following information, which is all I know about the plant, I'm taking directly off of the little plastic information tag that was stuck in it.)

First of all, this little tree comes from Iseli Nursery in Oregon...Anyone heard of them? I checked out their website...pretty impressive, but no care info.

**Please take a look at the photos here.

https://www2.snapfish.com/shareereg1submit/p=507271196202662747/l=332791276/g=110862737/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB/pns/share/p=507271196202662747/l=332791276/g=110862737/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

(Sorry for the bad quality, I had to use an old webcam)**

It is labeled [Chamacyparis pisifera 'Tsukumo'] on the tag. On the reverse side, it explains:

Growth Rate: Less than 3" per year

Growth Habit: Globe Shaped

Hardiness: -30 to -20f

Sunlight: Full Sun

(I'm sure most of you folks will know this already, I just wanted to let you know what knowledge I'm working with here...this is my second bonsai, after a little ficus that I've had for a few months...)

Currently, the tree spends about 12+ hours per day under a full spectrum desk lamp (13w). I haven't really found any info on the internet specific to this tree, in regards to watering, pruning, etc., and while I SUSPECT it's supposed to be an outdoor tree, I haven't really gotten solid confirmation.

Here are my specific questions, though any and ALL tips are appreciated:

1. Where I live I can't really keep this tree outside! Today, for the first time, I brought it outside, placed it in an empty hanging basket, and let it get about 4 good hours in the sun/partial sun. It was about 40 degrees here today, so I figured it would be OK. HOWEVER, I need to know if this moving back-and-forth can be a permanent thing, or if it will stress the tree and kill it. Like I said, it spends quite a bi of time under the full spectrum, which it seems to enjoy.

2. What is the maximum amount of light I can give it? If it sits under the full spectrum for 16 hours a day (provided I give it more water and mist) is that bad?

3. In regard to pruning, I've pretty much just decided to wait until spring to move it out of the little red cup it came in; I've pinched away a small few leaves from the bottom to encourage it to grow up, but that's all I know. I guess I'm just looking for general tips here...

I suppose that's about it for now, sorry for the long message, but I've noticed that the more info you guys have the better you are able to answer questions. I'd really like to take good care of this tree and enjoy it for many, many years!

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz