Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lime sulfer

Posted by paul3636 6a Ma. (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 07 at 19:01

When looking at pictures of bonsai with deadwood that has been treated with limesulfer it is a real nice grey white color.
When I treat deadwood on my bonsai with limesulfer it turns yellow and doesn't change much over time.
Do Bonsai artist add something to lime sulfer to get this color?
Is there a special lime sulfer for bonsai?
If there is what do I ask for and where do I get it?
Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lime sulfer

I know you need to dilute the lime-sulfur with water, but I don't remember the ratio. I'm hoping someone will jump in with that info. Usually the complaint you hear with freshly treated areas is that they are too white, not yellow. Some folks add something to tone it down a bit to get the gray. If you're not in a hurry though, they will age and mellow to the gray in less than a season.

o

I don't know if the brand of lime sulfer makes a difference but I used bonide.
I hope your right about the seasons but one and a half seasons have gone by so i'll have to wait until the spring to see if your right.
In the mean time I hope others jump in.
And thanks
Paul

o

I think in one of the books I was reading recently, it said to keep trees out of the sun while the lime sulfur was drying to keep it from yellowing. This is just off the top of my head, though, so I may remember wrong.
-Jmcat

o

bonsaibean
Thanks for the dilution tip. If any one knows the ratio for dilution or what is added to obtain the gray-white (driftwood color) please jump in.
jmcat
Thanks for the sun tip, I will try to find out if it is true. If any one does know please share your knowledge.
By sharing what we know everyone benifits.
Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here