Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deva33atlanta

good for bonsai???

Hi! I have never had a bonsai, trained any plant bonsai style or anything like that, but I would really like to. I have several succulents and two of my crassulas I think may be a good candidate for bonsai - They would be little but I gotta start some where right?

I am also thinking of getting a wisteria shrub to make a bonsai... Thoughts?

Comments (10)

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

second option

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Both look like great candidates, tho' it's a bit early to do more than get them into bonsai pots if you want to 'declare' them as bonsai, but one thing's important... don't wire for shape because wires will just cut the stems. You're better off just pinching off leaves you don't want (and of course sticking them in soil for whole new plants), and turning pots to get the sun for directional growth.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Both will work well, especially the finger Jade 'Gollum.' Give 'em time, plenty of fertilizer, water, and light, and they will develop thick trunks.

Josh

• hookilau
    9 years ago

I'm not a Bonsai-ist & I don't play one on TV, but I do have a number of Jades (c.ovata).

Both of your plants are lovely & given a few years using clip & grow method, can make really graceful Bonsai-like houseplants you'd be proud to display.

They can grow really quickly and put on some major in a short period of time, so that's a plus. They're pretty easy to find & collect & can be had cheap as starter plants. It's certainly a great way to start learning about the concepts of Bonsai.

Good luck with it =)

• hookilau
    9 years ago

Wanted to add as well, if you happen to acquire a laarge trunked Jade & decide to 'whack' it, do not use concave cutters. =P

Do not cut close to trunk, just to the the node before. It will dry up and fall off on it's own & won't leave an unsightly scar.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I dont have room for anything big so they can take a little time with their growth. I've read that there are certain things you can fo with pruning to stimulate trunk growth. Any one have tips about that?

And thanks so much for your input!!!

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Unfortunately the things you do with other trees ('real' trees) don't work on succulents, and it's not so bad because they actually get nice fat trunks all by themselves compared to other trees (if you think about it after all :-).

Just give them lots and lots of sun, water well when you do it, but do it not-often-at-all, and just give them time.

9 years ago

Moochinka is right.
    There used to be some thought that pruning thickened the trunks, but that was probably just the illusion of thickening. Time, water, sunlight....that's the ticket.

However, you are growing in a very fast draining mix, and so you *will* need to water regularly.

Josh

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both.

Greenman, I water about once a week now that winter is here. But in the spring and summer I water twice a week and fertilize once a week. I also fertalize once a month in winter.

9 years ago

Perfect, that schedule sounds just right.

Josh