Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Why few pictures here?

tomncath
14 years ago

I'm almost afraid to make this post this but feel compelled to try to understand what I don't understand. I'm not a newbie to GW but I am a newbie to bonsai. As I reviewed the last FIFTY posts here it stuck me as odd that there are very few pictures, is this a cultural thing at this forum? Bonsai is so spectacular that IÂd though this forum would be picture-heavy with both the good and the bad, in an attempt to benefit all.

Tom

Comments (10)

• mawehe63
    14 years ago

i will put up a link to my flickr photostream only a few pictures though

Here is a link that might be useful: my flickr

• lehua49
    14 years ago

maw,

The fern looks like a Lawai Fern that is common in Hawaii as a ground cover used with palms. It grows with a hairy root that puts out those thin stems with the fern attached. Aloha

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

I try to post pictures as often as possible...

Head Cutter posts when he can.

I'll see if I can scrounge up something of interest.
    Two of my trident maples are turning color...now that I think of it...

Josh

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

I'd love to see more pictures also. As a newbie I really need to get a feel for shaping. I keep snipping away and have no concept of what I'm trying to accomplish. I have so many books but they only show the finished tree.

I have two small ficus which keep making new leaves no matter how many times I cut them. Its winter and they keep sending out leaves.

Jane

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i will put up a link to my flickr photostream only a few pictures though

Maw - thanks! I have both Rosemary and dwarf blueberries (Sunshine Blue). I never though of trying to shape either one but now my eyes are opened to the possibilities :-)

Two of my trident maples are turning color...now that I think of it...

Josh - please do post some pics, I'd love to see some fall colors, we don't get much of that here in Florida :-(

I have two small ficus which keep making new leaves no matter how many times I cut them. Its winter and they keep sending out leaves.

Jane - post some pictures! You'll get some feedback on ideas of how to shape it....

Tom

• ryan_tree
    14 years ago

2 of my Dawn Redwoods have lost their leaves, but all the none Dawn Redwood bonsai I have are just starting to lose their leaves.

Ryan

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Some pics...!
    These are seedlings from a friend's yard. The first tree is in its second year, and it's now growing at higher elevation (given into the care of my friend's dad) - so it loses its leaves about three weeks earlier than mine.
    {{gwi:21950}}

Second tree is a seedling from this year. I have it in my garden currently.
    {{gwi:21951}}

Third and fourth pics are of my personal second year maple. This was dug up last June and it has surpassed my wildest expectations. I can't wait to give it a hard pruning this spring.
    {{gwi:21953}}
    {{gwi:21954}}

Josh

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

I have posted some pictures but it's a pain (and a 5 step process). Add to that a crappy connection most of the time and the pain gets bigger LOL. I've found it's easier to invite people to my Facebook page and just let them look around. Of course now Facebook has been banned here so that's become a problem too.

I was in Saigon when that typhoon hit here and had no idea what I was coming home to. So, it was nice to get a text message, from a friend (while I was sitting on the train in the middle of a lake (that didn't use to be there)) telling me that not only my house but the trees were ok.

Bob

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Oh Bob! I had no idea you were in the path of that typhoon. Thank goodness everything is OK. We went through Ike last year and it's a mess still. So what is up with Facebook over there? I'd heard some countries were planning to ban them but had no idea Vietnam was on the bandwagon.

I can never get the pics to post so I just do the facebook thing also. I never really bothered to learn how to post them either so it's just laziness on my part.

I love the fall colors & we don't get them here so I really appreciate the pics.
    Tally HO!

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

My town was in it, made landfall between Tuy Hoa and Qui Nhon, I was in Saigon when it hit. There is a lot of damage a lot of death and people still missing. My part of town is on the high ground, about 3 meters above the rest of town, so we were spared the flood. Lost power and everything for a few days along with everything else. Most people lost everything along with cattle, livestock and the last rice harvest. Rice in storage got wet and is trash.
    Facebook has been banned here but there is a back door till they find and close that too. Oh well.
    Bob

Sponsored