Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betula_pondula

to prune or not to prune? that is the question.

betula_pondula
15 years ago

Hi everyone my question is about a cherry blossom tree. It has a formal upright 1/4" trunk and it is about 10" tall. I bought this pre bonsai cherry this summer and repoted it in a ttraining pot to let the roots grow and to thiken the trunk.

When i bought the tree it only had one leaf at the internodes and there were about 12 intersections going up the tree. The buds at the base of the leaves were well developed and looked like they might put out one more burst of growth before winter.

Well, about a month ago 5/12 of the single leaves fell off at the bottom but didnt go all the way to the top. I wasnt sure at first if I should pull the rest off since I thought it might go in to shock. As i predicted it was in fact puting out the second growth at the bottom and by the time i had pulled off the rest of the leaves there was already five shoots coming out of the first 4" of the tree that all had at least four leafs. This caused the nodes at the top half to not get enough energy to put out their second growth. My question now is.

Do I have time to do one last prune on the botom shoots to force the growth in the mid and top sections to grow to the same maturity as the bottom. Thus concluding that next year i dont have an unproportionate tree from top to bottom. Also I live in Gilbert AZ and the average temp lately has been in the 70's, and not one of my trees has started to show signs of fall color or going into hibernation. So I think that my trees will be able to grow for at least another three weeks till they go into a hibernative state. do you think i should leave the cherry alone or go for the trim? thanks for the help.

Elijah

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor