Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bonsai dormancy

Posted by ryanbonsai canada (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 28, 09 at 20:27

Hi I have a japanese juniper bonsai.

It is winter and my bonsai needs dormant period

but i dont know if i can place him outside during the winter because the temp here is pretty cold

im in Canada vancouver and the coldest temp during the winter is ....-5 C , -10 C i think

now its around 5C - 7C so i placed him outside..

but im worried about the freezing temp later...

some books say not to worry about freezing temp because junier bonsai CAN survive..

but some say if it is freezing temp. place it in cold indoor place

what should i do...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bonsai dormancy

My bonsai friends in Montana dig a hole about 6-8 inches deep large enough for the pot and set the pot in it and cover it with sawdust or straw basicaly filling in the hole. They leave the top of the tree exposed. Junipers will take this just fine. The main thing is to protect the roots from freezing. The roots can go down to -5 C without much risk. This tree should not be in the house ever for more than a few days. Junipers are out door plants an will die from lack of light and the dry environment inside of a house. Good luck, Jack

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here