Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevebeau

juniper bonsai

stevebeau
15 years ago

Hello,

I've been developing an interest in Bonsai for a few years now, and decided to gather a good base of knowledge before diving in to the practice. That being said, people close to me offer (out of good intentions) the odd mass-produced bonsai with glued on stones and pots covered with fake moss. Recently I received a juniper and would like it to survive even though the odds are against it. I have removed the glued-on rocks and set it outside but i have a few questions about how to keep it from kicking the bucket.

1) The soil is poor draining and stays soggy for days. When should I replant and with what mixture? Is it ok to replant during the trees dormancy or should I wait for spring?

2) I live in Montreal (zone 3) in a 3rd story apt. My options for over wintering are :

-a SW facing balcony or a N facing balcony both completely exposed

-a sunless unheated shed

-the space between the inner and outer windows roughly 8" wide by 3 feet long.

Which is the best option?

The bonsai is small, 6 inches high in a 6 inch ceramic pot. Right now it is on the SW balcony and gets about 4 hours of direct sun a day. It's in fine health but I am afraid to leave it outside come December. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time

Comments (2)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor