Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emilymt60

My bonsai is sick - please help

emilymt60
16 years ago

I live in San Diego and since the fires my bonsai has not looked very well. Luckily we were not directly affected but it was very dry. My husband and I received the bonsai for a wedding gift just over a year ago. Please help us save it! Thank you very much.

{{gwi:22039}}

Comments (10)

• jimh
    16 years ago

From the above photo it appears that there is a wire encircling the lower trunk of your ficus nerifolia that is cutting into the bark. This should be immediately removed.

• lucy
    16 years ago

First, make a firm little scratch on the trunk and, if it's green under the bark, things aren't too bad. If not (whitish or brown), you may just have to bite a bullet. If green, use a clear plastic bag over the whole tree, but don't tie it at the bottom (and do snip off all the wiring - one coil at a time - don't try to undo it). Don't keep the tree + bag in direct sun, but do give it decent light. Do spray once just before putting the bag on, and then leave things alone for a few wks, watering only when more-than-less of the soil in the pot's dry. Keep a close eye out for any whitish moldy looking stuff on the top and scrape it off the soil, also removing the bag at the same time (for good). If you remove it, then put the pot on a wide(r) tray of stones and water, but be sure water never reaches the pot's drain holes. That humidity will help a lot instead of the bag. Be patient - it can take weeks & weeks to come back.

• emilymt60
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you very much. What should I spray it with before putting the bag on?

• lucy
    16 years ago

Water.

• jmcat
    16 years ago

I have seen books state differently, Lucy. One of the books I was recently reading - Bonsai Secrets, by Peter Chan - states: "For medium- and large-size bonsai, a drainage layer of larger soil particles is fairly important. Some people do not bother with a drainage layer at all, but it does facilitate drainage and results in a healthier tree."
    Also, Lucy, I think it would be wise to notify you of something that you may or may not be aware of (I would e-mail you, but would prefer not to give my address to anyone). I apologize if this is too much of an accusation. I have seen over the past few months that some of your postings have been a bit rude, both on this forum, and on the Terrariums Forum (more so on the Terrariums Forum). In your post right above this one, it seems that you are mixing fact(?) and opinion in the same sentence, and presenting them both as fact. I am not entirely convinced about the peat and sand being bad, and I think it would be wise to be more polite in saying someone is wrong. Again; I am not trying to accuse you, and I am sorry if you are offended by this.
    -Jmcat

• lucy
    16 years ago

I don't post on the Terrariums forum. And Peter Chan, while he is certainly entitled to his (usually expert) opinions, may be a bit out of date, as studies have been done in recent years showing that drainage 'layers' of any kind can even be counterproductive, regardless of people having slavishly used them for years. It's all about water tables, etc. and while it's not always that meaningful in small pots, it's something to consider. If you want to use peat and sand, go right ahead, but I personally choose to advise people not to as just about everyone else I know, people who've done top class bonsai for years, are dead set against it, and I've personally found them to be right.

• jmcat
    16 years ago

OK, I'll accept that Peter Chan's opinions may have been shown wrong. However, I don't see why you're saying that you don't post on the Terrariums Forum. If you want, I suppose I could give you the links for your postings. Again, I am not trying to start an argument; I am telling you that I found some of your postings to be impolite and/or offensive.
    -Jmcat

• buddaboy
    16 years ago

Jmcat,
    Lucy tends to answer any question that she feels she can help with. I wish I had her breadth of experience with bonsai. The one small problem she has, is her straight answers do not often come with a sugar coating. This is not a bad thing in itself, but some people have issues with it. I do not, due to the amount of posting she does on this site to help others.

From what Ive picked up from old threads on the forums, there used to be a lot more people posting answers. If I had more time in bonsai, I would like to think that I would try to help as much as Lucy does.

Ron

• davidfromdetroit
    16 years ago

Emily,

I am not a bonsai expert but have been succesfully growing bonsai for a number of years. Another consideration, after you have implemented the advice of the others above, is that the plant may be root bound. Since it was a gift, we don't really know when it was last repotted.

I would wait until spring to do this, but proper repotting can really help. Just make sure you get a good bonsai book or go online to learn as much technique as you can because repotting a bonsai involves root pruning and other things that are quite different from replanting a common houseplant.

Some of my sources suggest removing the plant (roots, dirt, and all) from the pot to see if it needs repotting (again you might wait until spring to try this). If long roots have grown around the perimiter of the pot at the bottom such that more root is visible than actual soil, you are probably due to repot.

David

• jmcat
    16 years ago

Ron - Thanks for this clarification. I think I may have come off a little too strong on at least one of my posts.
    -Jmcat

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting