Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie Questions...

Posted by greenthumbzdude 6b PA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 21:57

Hi,
I just recently became interested in bonsai. I have a few questions to ask since I can't seem to find a straight answers elsewhere. My first question is what kind of soil mix is best for bonsai? How do you create this mix? Also, can bonsai be kept outdoors all year in zone 6b? Do you need to keep the trees in full sun or shade? At what point do you start training a seedling into a bonsai? Also, how do Castanea species hold up as bonsai's. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie Questions...

gtd,

Your answers cab be found with GardenWeb seaches. Put in "Bonsai Soil Mix" in the search block top right. You will be able to read several threads and what makes good bonsai soil. Second question, you need to specify what trees you are writing about. Since Bonsai are just trees in containers, you can search the container forum as well for care of certain trees you care about. What City is closest to you (Zone 6b).
There are seven types of Castenea (Chestnut Trees) which type are you describing. In my opinion, all would do fine as bonsai. Check out this link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=castenea+bonsai&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here