Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with "wild" collected pre-bonsai

Posted by jwf2 Hawaii (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 22:26

Recently I was able to "collect" a pre-bonsai from a neighbor doing some new landscaping. He had already dug up some old shrubs, pretty nice trunk size that I thought might make interesting long term project. But I knew it was a long shot- they had been ripped out of the ground with no regard to saving a root ball....and they were pretty scraggly...but nice trunk and lower branch structure. Took it(Ithink it is Ixora, similar to Azalea) home and soaked in water with SuperThrive for 48 hours, cut off the obvious branches, put it in a large (12") clay azalea pot with a soil mix 50% volcanic cinders, 50% organic tropical citrus mix. At the time I could tell the foliage was stressed from lack of moisture, so I have been keeping it moist, and misting the leaves, with limited sun exposure. But, it looks like all the leaves are browning and going to drop....
So, my question is, in an effort to save it, should I severely prune back to the main branches I would like to save, or, should I go ahead and remove the leaves, or should I just be patient and let it progress naturally...?

Thanks for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with "wild" collected pre-bonsai

Post a pic.
Sounds like it won't make it. Roots are essential to wild collection. Stop misting the leaves, as that does no good - but can do harm.

Josh

o
RE: Problems with "wild" collected pre-bonsai

Pot it in a 1-5 gallon nursery pot, let it get back to health, and then after a year or more, attempt to bonsai it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here