Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Black Pine plucking needles

Posted by iamdunn4 California/Bay Area (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 0:13

I need a little advice from an experienced Bonsai Artist. I purchased a JBP and it has large up to 6 inch candles on it and a lot of needles. I have been reading and watching a lot of Utubes with Ryan Niel. I am getting a bit confused it seems there are many thoughts about how much to pluck and how to do it. One of Ryan Niel's demonstrations he says that the first thing you should do when you first get a JBP is to cut off all the candles even the ones that did not form and pluck the needles on the whole tree to where there is consistent foliage all over the tree. That kind of makes since to me. That would get all the branches to an even strength. Then when reading I find where I should pluck to 7 to 10 pair on the upper 1/3rd , leave 12 to 15 pair on the middle 1/3rd and 15 to 20 on the bottom 1/3rd and inner branches. So what is correct? The other question is all along the branches there are long needles, should I pluck those also and to what extent? I have read that if you pluck needles on the trunk and branches they may not back bud to those areas. I defenitly need some back budding going on. Help before I screw this thing up. Thanks Don

This post was edited by iamdunn4 on Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 0:18

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Black Pine plucking needles

are those yellow needles?

o
RE: Japanese Black Pine plucking needles

No they are not yellow I just took this picture at night and that's the flash. It is pretty healthy, someone told me to cut the whole top off and that would give me lots of back budding. NOt sure how much or where to cut this tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here