Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bonsai - Dying Swamp Cypress

Posted by
ryan.b Australia
(gw:ryan.b) on
Fri, Dec 1, 06 at 0:54

I have a 5 year old bonsai Swamp Cypress which was affected by hot weather while I was on holidays. The leaves (pine style) had burnt off and I had to cut back all foliage. I had re-potted the tree about a week before going away but it was in good health. It is currently just a trunk and root base but I was hoping I could save it from total death. Can anyone help with advise on reviving a dying (and hopefully not-yet-dead) bonsai?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bonsai - Dying Swamp Cypress

You are speaking of Taxodium distichum or bald cyprus, if so then you might not in too bad of shape. The tree is deciduous so you might have just shocked it and it lost its leaves for the winter. Im in Florida and the bald cyprus and pond cyprus have all turned brown for the season. These trees are native to Florida and Mexico so the heat should not kill it, just might throw it in shock if its not used to it. I would just keep the plant watered, in the sun and see if it bounces back. I dont think there is much else to do.

o
Link

Im not sure if this will help, but there is alot of info here.
http://pick5.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?search=Taxodium+distichum

o
RE: Bonsai - Dying Swamp Cypress

• Posted by
    dave-b
    (gw:dave-b) on
    Fri, Dec 1, 06 at 10:14

Ryan
I had a simular experiance with a Bald Cyress this past summer. I got back from a trip and found every leaf brown. I took it out of the nursery pot and set it in the shade, in the waters edge of a small pond. About month later it put back new green leaves , in time for Fall to knock them off. It seems healthy now , just dormant. (our winter)
I think I would put it in the shade and keep it moist. It will possibly come back. ( If watering was the original problem.)
Afterthought.
Since it probably still weak from the repotting , and now lost it's leaves. You might try a Peter Chan trick of , barerooting the tree , repotting it in long fibered spahgnum moss ,( Green , fresh if possible ) it the shade, kept moist.

This past summer I tried this on a sick Cryptomeria, and it seems to be working ( knock wood )
All the best.
Dave.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here