Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus Enigma

Posted by head_cutter Vietnam (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 12, 09 at 2:00

But also interesting.

Anywhere a species of tree grows in profusion you are bound to have 'sports' coming out, this ficus is no exception. It strongly resembles a ficus b. in most respects, also a Port Jackson along with a few others. What sets it apart are a few strange charicteristics all of it's own.
When the new foliage unfolds it comes out curled and twisted. It's also a reddish/bronze color for a few days up to a week before turning the normal green.
Unlike my other ficus defoliation seems to do nothing but piss it off--in retaliation it throws larger leaves??
It also stinks, ficus b./foetid?
I have others growing in water and there is no problem. This one (even changing the water every few days) turns the water into a stinking brackish mess overnight.

Jerry M. and I have chatted about it and he's still chuckling.

How bad does the water stink? Soooo bad that the mosquitos won't even lay eggs in it, ya...that bad.

And this was the tree I was working to plant in the water pot in the front room. Ya, I'm re-thinking that!!

Bob

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus Enigma

Very interesting story and I do like this particular ficus specimen . I've been trying to figure out how to order Jerry's two books on Ficus and Indoor Bonsai ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here