Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliabbas_gw

Rotting? When should I repot?

aliabbas
13 years ago

Hi!

wasup guys..ok so i believe its 'leaves' are rotting. I think it needs repotting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55744440@N06/5308469513/in/photostream/

see all the photos that go with it. Its a ponytail palm that has 3 shoots. Its a bonsai that i bought 1 week ago. I want to repot it when should I? I live in N-Ca. What are the white spots on the pot? Sulphur? How do I remove them?

Comments (3)

• larke
    13 years ago

What I saw was a very happy looking plant and no white spots. If there are a few spots on the pot, however, it could just be residue from hard water chemicals, and they should come off with vinegar. I certainly didn't see rotting, but if you're concerned about it, water less often. I do think all that green could be from both watering more often than necessary and lack of enough light all day. Repot only after you've given it some time (few weeks) to settle in and be used to the new location. PS - it's not a bonsai, just ponytail palm stuck in a pot. Palms do not bonsai, but whoever sells them in a rectangular pot is sure cleaning up!

• mike423
    13 years ago

Looks like you have a classic Malsi. I would not recommend buying Malsi's (department store knock off bonsai) as they are poorly pruned and taken care of and are usually on their way out before you even bring them home. I would HIGHLY recommend removing the moss and the glued on rocks as these can cause a number of problems. the rocks keep the water not only from being evenly absorbed into the soil at time of watering but keeps the soil from drying out evenly (or at all for that matter). The moss also keeps the surface too moist and can cause serious problems (rot bug problems).

the green film collecting at the base of the plant is also most likely stemming from too much moisture in the are. In the future when you repot you could get rid of this by using some warm water and a small soft bristle brush, or you can purchase a bonsai spray made specifically for removing moss etc.. from the base of the trunk which you can spray on the effected area and it will simply wash off (safe for the plant too).

I would also recommend repotting the tree (assuming the plant is healthy and you know what your doing). the soil is most likely to water retentive, even after removing the rocks and moss. The soil should only stay wet at most up to two days. I usually repot all my bonsai relatively soon after purchase so I not only know what the soil mixture is and can therefore control its moisture better, but so I can get an idea of the root structure for further care.

Good luck

-Mike

• aliabbas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you guys! That was really helpful! I will do the stuff that you guys have recommended. I already knew that it wasn't really a bonsai but it was really pretty and not expensive, so i just bought it..Thanks anyways! =D

Sponsored