Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
head_cutter

Josh hey...Da Lat and other things...

head_cutter
14 years ago

Just got back today...bike became a 3-speed (3rd gear went south yesterday about noon :(( ) Found some very nice trees up there and may post some pics on my Facebook in the future. It was a very nice week with friends and the 'Brat' and even nicer for me...found a nice but small white Azalea (not common in the costal areas) a nice Rosemary plant (for seasoning) and Minima Jade--got 2 large cuttings. Would have bought a tree (most cost about $30 US) but was out of room on the bike.

Bob

Comments (6)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Welcome back, Bob!
    I'm sorry to hear about the gear, but I'm glad you made it home safely. Good score on the Azalea and the Rosemary.....I have a couple awful hedges of Rosemary in my front yard. ;) Had some in the Thanksgiving turkey last week, even. When you say "large" on the Minima cuttings (oh the wordplay!), how large are we talking? Bonsai for these?

Josh

• head_cutter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Love the wordplay ha ha.

The one is about 6" and the other is about 4", size of leaves vary a little from .5 CM to about .7 CM, half the size of a normal little finger nail. Yes...mame bonsai if they survive and begin to grow.

14 years ago

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any updates....

Will you be growing the Jades in gravel/inorganics to battle the humidity?

Josh

• head_cutter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually everything traveled very well (except for the 'Brat') they were all trussed-up and loosely wrapped in some plastic...we had a small argument about watering them but she lost. It was so cool and they were riding behind is in sort of a dead zone.
    The Rosemary dried out to the point of being crisp but the Azalea leaves looked pretty good Saturday night so I left things alone. The Jade cuttings were bagged up and down inside of the Azalea...no problem.

I watered everything up (except the cuttings) when we unpacked then misted a few times...the Rosemary greened right back up and the Azalea doesn't look like it missed a beat. Pretty good for almost 350 km strapped to the back of a moto in this country!!
    The Azalea is going in the ground after some major pruning and the Jade will just be growing in some fine sand and probably 6-8 hours of full sun.

Of course now that I know where to get both I can always have my friend throw a few on a bus if I want/need more.

Bob

14 years ago

That is good news that you report!
    I'm glad the plants have survived the trip...and the 'Brat,' too! ;)
    Interestingly, a friend of mine was asking about Rosemary yesterday...he wants to start
    cuttings for some reason or the other.

About those Jade cuttings. I'm sure you know this tip, but I might as well mention it
    for anyone else reading: root those Jades near a cool window, but no direct light.

Josh

• head_cutter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ya, the cuttings are in sand in a cool shaded part of the garden. Wet 'em up once then I'll just leave 'em for a few months. Tranny repair was $6 I can only imagine what that would have cost in the States! The guys had it R&R'd and ready to go in under two hours. That's pull the engine and tranny, tear down, replace 2 springs and one bearing, oil change and replace...$6.
    I've posted some Bonsai pics I took in Da Lat on my Facebook for now. One of these days I'm gonna break down and buy one of the huge ornamental ficus b. with the big nasty buttresses (2-3' across) and reduce it to about 3-4' of actual Bonsai.

Bob

Sponsored