Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Green Island Ficus

Posted by zusya MO (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 8, 07 at 6:08

I am a gardener who has far more enthusiasm than experience. I recently saw an older dwarf green island ficus bonsai and thought it was so lovely, I bought a little baby one in a 4-inch pot for myself. It seemed pretty rootbound as I was repotting. Now I'm now realizing that I want this little guy to get bigger and grow faster (so much for my first bonsai attempt!). How much smaller is a mature dwarf ficus than your average ficus? How quickly do they grow? Any information or advice on this plant would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Green Island Ficus

Hi, first of all a dwarf 'anything' grows a lot slower than other plants, but usually the thing to do (how most bonsai are developed) is plant it in a larger container (until you're happy with the trunk size, then cut down most of the tree as is and wait for new smaller branching). However, ficus actually prefer to be just a bit tight in their pots, so in this case, I think just making sure it's 'comfortable' in a pot, and maybe not think of it as 'bonsai' material as such (at for 3-5 yrs) and get some other type of tree, ficus or not, to work on. It may develop nicely in time, though, and if so you certainly will have a good candidate for mame (very small bonsai).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here