Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anchoring question?

Posted by compostworm5 9 (tarfoot05@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Dec 23, 08 at 7:33

Hey everyone!! This stage in bonsai has gotten me so frustrated. I've been trying to anchor down my pine tree I just dug up out of the forest. I cut the roots back a tad and now I just want to anchor it down in it's new home. Whats the easiest way to do this?? I wrap wire around the roots, but just can't seem to find a good wrap system to work. The tree is not a baby, it stands around a foot and then some. I fed the wire through the drainage holes and came back up through the pot too. Help!!! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anchoring question?

Hi, you haven't mentioned the size of the pot relative to the tree or rootball, which would be helpful. Putting a just dug pine straight into a pot is pretty tricky at the best of times, let alone for a newbie, and I mean from the point of view of taking proper care of the tree, not just the mechanics of wiring it in. Depending (so much) on the nature of the root spread, direction, mass, etc., you would either use wires coming straight up from the holes, through the plastic canvas, and wire them around large surface roots just once or so (then either cut them or get them back down and out there (around a fat twig to hold them), but if the tree and roots are small, I'll often loop around the trunk from above in 3-4 directions, bring the wire down over the pot edges and tie them off under the pot... not pretty, but less harmful to the tree and more of a good anchor if you balance the loop tightnesses. I wouldn't wire around internal roots though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here