Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

New 12" ficus, when to trim roots?

I have a new ficus tree about 1' tall that I just got for $1 (woo hoo) on clearance. This will be have-fun-and-learn-slowly bonsai tree. Anything you buy for $1 obviously needs some rehab. It had lost all but about 15 leaves, but there is new green leaf growth just barely starting to sprout all over, and I mean maybe 1-3 mm leaf buds. I was going to let it recover a bit before I trimmed the roots to begin my bonsai experiment. Now I'm not sure. Should I trim now when it needs some general recovery so I can get new leaf growth that is already miniature, or should I let it continue to sprout its normal leaves, and once it's healthier then trim the roots? I was initially worried about plant stress. Now I'm wondering if it can handle the stress and I should take advantage of this recovery period to let it recover with roots already trimmed.

Thank you!

Comments (2)

• moochinka
    10 years ago

Don't do anything but take care of it properly - watering when necessary, keeping it in full sun and as much humidity as reasonable (lots, but not if there's any chance of fungi or mealy bugs).

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will do. Thank you!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths