Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rlugo_gw

Dad got me Mallisai

rlugo
14 years ago

OK, my dad noticed that I was researching Bonsai. So, while he was at lows he got me the gift of Mallisai. I'm so new that I don't know what to do with it. I think it's an Elm, but not sure. I want to keep it as it is a gift. I obviously want to get it out of the pot it's in, but other than that I need help. I'm trying to post pics bellow:

{{gwi:22747}}

{{gwi:22749}}

{{gwi:22751}}

{{gwi:22753}}

{{gwi:22755}}

{{gwi:22756}}

{{gwi:22761}}

{{gwi:22764}}

Comments (13)

• larke
    14 years ago

It's a really nice Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia) and you're right, it doesn't belong in that pot. Can you find a local club to join? If so, then you can bring in your tree and get help to repot properly and in the right mix, which I doubt has been used (it never is), also because the pot likely has a tiny lip inside, which makes it hard to get the tree out of without wrecking new top roots, etc. I wouldn't do too much to it otherwise except to water when the top half inch is dry and don't let the pot sit even in drain water at all. Get rid of the fake moss. If you really can't find a club... where do you live, we can help find one or at least try to help you repot.

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

Well, it beats the hell out of getting a lump of coal and it's the gift that keeps on giving!! You could give it back to dad and let him figure out care or, you got this far, Google Elm Bonsai care or just Elm Bonsai and begin there. You were researching it anyway.
    It's in a pot and is alive...looks healthy? Leave it alone and see what happens. It's had enough truma for a few months, re-potting will just add to that.

Merry Christmas!

Bob

• larke
    14 years ago

Try www.bonsai4me.com for basic info on lots of trees.

• rlugo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The tree itself looks very healthy. It has lots of newer growth, and I even see some buds forming. (I think buds is the term)(Maybe it's Nodes?)

I found a nearby club online. I sent the Trustee an email to find out about joining, but have not heard back yet.

I definitely want to re-pot it, but just not sure this is the right time to do so. From all the info I've read it is best to re-pot these guys in early spring. However, I just moved to Largo Florida and this weather is like early spring to me. At least compared to my native Ohio weather. What do you guys think? Either way, I will be removing the moss.

Larke, thanks for the link. That site just so happened to have an article on Chinese Elm Mallsai

http://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicsdevelopingmallsai.htm

Any styling suggestions? I don't plan on doing anything as far as styling goes yet, but I need to develop a plan.

Thanks & Merry Xmas

• larke
    14 years ago

Be patient - give them time to answer - it's Christmas! You probably can do it now, but wait anyway - practice patience :-)! BTW, why the Trustee? Contact others too in case that person's not a full time practicing member. And yousee buds. Nodes are the places (like bamboo's horiz. ridges) where buds come from.

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

The trustee may be the only person listed as a contact, my old society in Pittsburgh is like that.

Bob

• rlugo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, the trustee is the only one listed. There's two other clubs within reasonable distance, but they have the same trustee...

I'm a very patient man and I know it's the holidays. I was just seeing what you all thought. For the last 15yrs I've been keeping saltwater reef aquariums which takes a lot of patients as well.

Why am I not getting emailed when someone replies to my threads?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Hey, Rlugo...
    GardenWeb is pretty unreliable when it comes to auto-messages....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    I don't even bother checking the reply box when I post a Topic.

Also, you might consider saving any e-mails before you send them...in case there's a problem with delivery.

Josh

• rlugo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well that's a turn off.
    Step it up G.W. How hard can it be to get this fixed????
    Ya know, I have other forums to look at too, and it's easier for me to think about them if they are sending me updates on my threads. If I'm not reminded, I could forget all about G.W.

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

And Garden Web is older than dirt, think I remember posting back in the mid-90's so you can imagine how old the software is...probably vine and weed covered too by now? For the past few months a lot of it has been crashing too, there have been numerous fixes being done as things fail.
    They probably should update but why? They are making money on the ads so why bother.

Bob

• rlugo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Holy crap!!! A reply. Sorry, if it took me so long to notice. I was busy checking my email from all of the other forums that actually let me know that there's activity.

I'm such a smart @$$

I'll tell you why they should fix it. Because, if people stop coming to the forums, people stop visiting those ads. I do a bit of affiliate marketing and know that making $$$ is about being seen. Well, if other forums are emailing me updates and this one is not. Guess which one will get more traffic???

Ok I'm done whining.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Heck, I'd be happy if there were an 'edit' feature for our posts.... ;)

Josh

• rlugo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I removed the lil rock and the moss today. The soil used by whatever company that planted this tree sucks. It's pretty compact. I think it's peat. So, it definitely needs re-potted.

Sponsored