Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with scrawny Ponytail Palm

Posted by hotmess Tennessee (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 10:36

I need some help with what I think is a Ponytail Palm. I have seen lovely pictures of others, however mine looks so thin and scraggly. Is there some help for it to become nice and full and curly? It has 3 shoots growing from the top where the leaves grow from rather than the one growth spot at the top that I have seen in other plants. Will some sort of pruning encourage fuller growth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with scrawny Ponytail Palm

It looks like it needs more light, I would add some kind of supplemental lighting such as a fluorescent bulb.

o
RE: Help with scrawny Ponytail Palm

hm,

I had one of these when I lived in Hawaii. I had it outside in partial sun(on the lanai)and it grew huge at the base. I believe the width of the pot will regulate the size of the trunk if given good sun and proper care when you can in the spring. The three tops are from chopping the top. It looks like that was done. You could remove two of the tops to get back to one if you want, but I think it is fine as is. Take a Dremel tool and shape up the top trunk cut to look more natural. Enjoy and Merry Xmas. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here