Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justapeeker

The diary of one

justapeeker
14 years ago

Theres a shop 20 minutes from my house with several houses full of Bonsai trees. If I trusted myself enough I would go there and get one and later I shall do so as it is I often times do go and I enjoy every visit. (over wheelmed
Aside from my uncertain Bonsai plan. Yesterday I was left with no choise, as it was not I who would pick the bonsai it was the tree that would pick me.

I was my first day of pricing out a job. A third floor apartment remoldilng mostly floors and walls ect. I am part of the subs for the wires and plumbing and stuff. At any rate while walking though I see a bonsai maple tree of some type in a cold real chilly kitchen it sat in a ugly as sin, lt. green ceramic oval indented and concaved pot with two trees in it.

The soil was very close to frozen super firm and hard and a good dark color. Some leaves had fallen but most remain on trees all of them are drooping down some slugish leans on branches of tree that total three

I heard the tree say help me so I took it home ( like a child would do for a slightly sick stray puppy)

I cleaned of a corner of my desk and placed it on the top right corner area. I added a small fan guided heater and a bowl of water in front of the heater (not the only heat the office gets but it's no place to be watching TV either)I know, I'll change the bulbs on Monday and set them on a timer.

Prior to my leaving for home I added a 1/4 cup of cool water to the top of the soil, there is drainage on the pot that is going to have to do for now. This pot is as ugly as the end of a mule I will get it anouther in due time.

I don't know if I am asking for advice chances are I proberly won't even follow it. I don't know if the tree is already dead only time will tell, I will keep trying to do whats right for it and myself. If all else fails for this tree theres the place 20 minutes up the streets. I can always go there to listen for the bonsai tree for me.

Comments (7)

• larke
    14 years ago

You need advice, if only for the tree's sake. Maples are cold hardy trees and MUST live outdoors all year. The tree has gone dormant and should have been left that way. It will not survive inside longer than a day or two and should not be watered if the soil has frozen hard. If you have somewhere outdoors to keep it, sink the pot (not the whole tree) in a large container (with its own drain holes) of mulch, because it is a small pot vs the ground, but other than that leave it alone til the spring. This is not a choice, but a fact of life (sorry!).

• justapeeker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

would It be better if I left it on a three season unheated porch at my home. The poor thing just looked cold in that kitchen At the bonsai store they have them inside all the time
    Ill pick it up in morning and put it on my porch, and not water it ?

• larke
    14 years ago

Yes. But where you live matters because if you're in a place where the soil will actually not freeze hard, but just get cold, then you may need to water (well) at some point, though maples normally like to get pretty dry between waterings. Please give some kind of location and let us help guess at that for you. And BTW, "dark" soil is not desirable in bonsai - it generally means the wrong kind of mix, which in fact should be mostly particular types of grit, for fast drainage, though this is definitely not the time of year for repotting.

• justapeeker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Very well larke, thank you so much. I have made email contact to the bonsia garden in my area. I still have hope for the best of things to come. I'm looking forward to learning alot form them in Spring of 2010 (or on there que)
    I know it can be saved. Repoting isn't an option from me I mean it the pot is dead dog ugly the pot and the soil will have to do for now. I am going to be embarrased bring it into them on there que. Your soil info is a plus yes it too will have to wait, I do trust all will end right for the tree.

I have a befor pic and in 2010 I plan on posting both befor and after pics as part of " The diary of one"
    A series of several pics are and will be taken for " The road it travels"

larke: You helped me help the tree, honor is your guidance for life

• larke
    14 years ago

Well thank you so much! Your best move would be to pick the brains of the people there as they'll be familiar with the climate and what grows well, etc. Don't fuss about pots now, that doesn't need to happen until the tree is mature, styled and established, usually taking years. We all use various kinds of subs, and it's not a big deal. The mix, watering techniques (can take forever to 'get') and training are important. Anyhow... anytime.

• larke
    14 years ago

Oh, I also wanted to mention that a wider, if not deeper, container will definitely help grow it faster, as if it was in the ground, so consider that when repotting as well.

• carolinocala
    14 years ago

HiHi "Justa", How very kind of you.You sound like me, I rescue ANYTHING. Remember, "ugly"pots don't matter,it's what you do with them making all your tree's needs met that will help your bonsai. Grow lights can bring the outdoors inside and have heard that growers have had great success over years of this way of bonsai growing. Read,study and practice techniques-what a lucky little tree! Much luck....grow light is your best bet to start helping along with normal water/fertilizer care too. :]

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz