Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bonsais in terrarium

Posted by pyronic none (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 13:47

I am thinking about using bonsais in terrariums since some of the tarantulas that I want to get for pets and maybe some to breed would do better with live plants then fake ones. I was wondering if they could be used in these kinds of conditions. If that is possible what advice could some one help me with on this as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bonsais in terrarium

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 13:46

Realistically speaking, if your focus is on the spiders and not on the bonsai, it ain't gonna happen. I think the fact that you need to ask the question is a good indicator you're in over your head, and the assimilation of a good deal of knowledge would be a prerequisite to your achieving the goal. The picture is an interesting vision, but of 100,000 people you might survey, you might possibly find .1 that would be willing to go to the amount of effort that would be required to bring it off.

The good part is, if you're the .1/100,000 I mentioned, nothing I say will stop you; so if you have specific questions, I'll do my best to help you.

Al

o

Pyronic...

If you want IMITATE the look of a bonsai, I would recommend you get a hardy, indoor plant. Subtropical or tropical. Succulent, maybe. I don't have any advice for what would be good or bad for the tarantula. Portulacaria afra should be easy enough to take care of. This is not a jade plant, but it is similar. Also called "elephant bush," this plant is relatively drought tolerant. Avoid root-rot by planting in a free draining soil like 50/50 pine bark and turface (or lava rock). The rock should have 3/8 to 1/2 inch diameter. Water when dry. Also, don't forget to feed, especially in the growing seasons. If you don't want portulacaria afra, try some sort of succulent or desert plant.

Now, that being said, this is not bonsai this is a houseplant. To train a tree in bonsai, a number of methods are employed. Pruning, pinching out, repotting, wiring, etc. It is a worthwhile, but time consuming endeavor requiring patience and a willingness to learn. The more I learn about it, the more I have a sense of awe and respect for the skill that people develop in caring for bonsai. I'm new to the sport myself, but if you're interested in any of it, I can at least point you in the right direction.

I own a Serissa foetida and portulacaria afra, currently.

Can anyone else offer some advice?

Best wishes,
Adam

o

If it meant that I had to do more work to take care of the terrariums and things with the tarantulas and they live happier healthier lives it would be all the worth to me. That being said I'd much prefer to have the animal in its as close to as I can get natural habitat I was just curious on if this is something that is possible to do and the plants not die on you as well as what plants would work well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here