Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmwclemson

Bonsai Tools

jmwclemson
17 years ago

Hi,

I was thinking of getting the wife to get me some Bonsai Tools for Christmas. Since i am relatively new, i cannot figure out what to get, Stainless vs Carbon Steel, 7in vs 9in cutters, etc.

Anyone have any recommendations. Any on Ebay or a mail order dealer.

Although i am new to Bonsai, i have alot of trees i have been growing out, mostly japanese maples. I have over a 1000 seedlings and over 200 grafted cultivars. SO i have the need for nice knob cutters, etc for working with them also. Several of mine in the ground need there roots worked, so i am getting ready to have a need for a good tool set. I would like to go ahead and get most of the tools i will be needing in the future.

Thanks

Mike

Comments (8)

• grog76
    17 years ago

I'm extremely new to bonsai and the place I usually see referenced for tools, advice, and nursery stock(I received some about 2 months ago which was a very nice buy) is www.evergreengardenworks.com.
    I'm new so take the advice for what its worth and wait to hear from one of the more experienced members, just my 2 cents before tax worth.

• botanical_bill
    17 years ago

Check this link out. Its about steels; stainless steel (SS) does not hold sharp edges well, the black carbon steel are the best all around. I have read this in books and other internet sites, so if every one is preaching it, Ill take the advice.
    By Japanese tools, they have better craftsmanship over USA and Chinese tools.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steel tools

• buddaboy
    17 years ago

Gday, If this is any help, three months ago I bought chinese carbon steel tools. I got them from america on ebay( Im in Australia). They work just fine. I do agree that the Japanese tools are better quality than Chinese, but I have kids to feed, clothe, send to school, etc, etc. Its just a matter of deciding what you really need.
    Ron

• jimh
    17 years ago

Carbon vs "silvery" - I have both. I also have "read" that the carbon are superior to the silvery or stainless. If I did not have so many carbon (as well as "slivery") and were just starting out I would buy nothing but the silver tools - more expensive, yes, but worth the difference in price IMHO. Just don't buy the "cheap" brands (waste of money); the good stuff will last a lifetime and are a joy to use.

• taffyman
    17 years ago

Carbon steel will definitely hold a better edge than stainless but can chip if they are used roughly, and if not looked after will rust. They should be cleaned thoroughly after every use whereas stainless will take a lot more punishment and of course won't rust. The cheaper chinese tools are ok if you only have a few trees but the steel used is certainly not up to the quality of the Japanese ones. I have all three types but I always prefer to use the Japanese carbon steel ones. If you have 1200 potential trees to work on I would suggest either the stainless or the Japanese carbon steel ones - stay away from the chrome plated ones, they are complete rubbish! I use my 6inch branch cutters a lot more than the 8in or the 12 inch ones I have - I even carry a pair of 6in ones in my pocket whenever I go out, you never know when a nice cutting will show itself :)
    For buddaboy: send me an email to taffymanau@hotmail.com and I'll let you know where you should be able to get chinese (or Japanese) tools for less than what they would cost you from Ebay (plus postage) here in Oz

• bushwhacker
    17 years ago

Guys, I don't know where you got the idea that stainless won't hold an edge as well as carbon, but you're mistaken. Stainless is much harder than carbon steel. the difference is that stainless is much harder to sharpen once it does get dull. Something else that most folks don't realize is that most stainless edges are ground at a different angle than carbon steel ones. ie. a carbon steel knife edge is ground at a 15 degree angle where as a stainless blade is ground at a 45.

• taffyman
    15 years ago

Bushwacker, I don't mean to sound offensive but as I Fitter/1st Class machinist I have quite a bit of experience with different metals. I've machined Stainless Steel on a lathe using High Speed Steel tools. HSS is a very high carbon type of steel - it will rust over time. I can sharpen a pair of stainless cutters with a file, and a file is made from carbon steel. All steel has carbon added - that's what makes it different to pure iron. It just depends on the amount as to how hard the steel is. Even with household carving knives, fish filleting knives, skinning knives etc, I'd much prefer to use carbon steel ones than stainless. If you check out all the top quality hunting knives from the best manufacturers I believe you'll find they're made from good quality carbon steel.