Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rescue Bonsia Advice

Posted by FSUDaisy none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 14:13

So I found this little guy in Lowes for $2.00. Ive never had a bonsai before, but I figure if it doesn't survive I will have a nice pot.

Any thoughts on what it is? I live in Georgia, so I am wondering if I should just put it in the window for the winter (they had it inside the store).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rescue Bonsia Advice

Commonly sold as a "money tree" this is a pachira that would probably grow better if you just treat it as a regular houseplant rather than a bonsai. It requires high humidity.

From Wikipedia:
Pachira aquatica is a tropical wetland tree of the mallow family Malvaceae, native to Central and South America where it grows in swamps. It is known by the common names Malabar chestnut, Guiana chestnut, provision tree, saba nut, monguba (Brazil), pumpo (Guatemala) and is commercially sold under the names money tree and money plant. This tree is sometimes sold with a braided trunk and is commonly grown as a houseplant, although more commonly what is sold as a "Pachira aquatica" houseplant is in fact a similar species, P. glabra.

o

Hi, your plant is most definately what is commonly called a "Ginseng Ficus". Care is the same as the regular ficus. This ficus grows amazing fat roots.
You can put in window, or under lights for the winter and back out in summer.
Ficus retusa var. Ginseng

Nice find for $2!

o

I see that caudiciformken is right and I was wrong. The pachira has palmate leaves, which your plant does not. My bad. If you search retusa on this forum, you will find many discussions about caring for it.

o

Hope you can salvage this tree! Make sure you buy a pot with drainage holes and look up information on suitable bonsai soil for it.

I usually mix my own using 1 part granite and 1 part potting soil for a basic mix.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here