Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cd84_gw

My slowly dying Juniper

cd84
16 years ago

Ok.. to make a short story long..

I bought a Juniper this summer. His green turned into brown and he was quickly dying. Someone suggested spidermites, so I began treating him to prevent and get rid of them. Green started to come back! Well.. now that winter is here, I brought him inside and water him the same, keeping it moist in his pot with a hole in the bottom. No new growth can be seen. Is he ok? Can someone give me some advise? I use natural bonsai prefered vitamins and fertilizer and currently keep him near a window since winter is here.

Thanks for your time!

Chris

Columbus, Ohio

Comments (7)

• lucy
    16 years ago

Your tree belongs outside, mulched into a larger container. It won't live for long indoors. Keeping it 'moist' is not the way to go either for junipers - they need to be allowed to get more dry than otherwise between times, though if you'd repot into proper fast draining bonsai 'soil' (mostly grit, very little soil) it wouldn't be a problem.

• cd84
    Original Author
    16 years ago

it's currently in a bonsai soil. so.. even if it's 30 degrees and snowing, it should be outside??? not that I don't beleive you lucy, but this is yet another different story from another person lol I just want my li'll guy to live

• lucy
    16 years ago

Well then, keep it inside, but in a well ventilated place, not sitting in wet soil all the time. I can't change what should have been done previously.

• oppalm
    16 years ago

me thinks lucy got up on the wrong side of the bed. Nobody wants a lecture, just helpful advice in a non judgemental way. Can you help?

• lucy
    16 years ago

I'm sorry, but I was asked something there was no easy answer to, and was told flat out that I wasn't believed. What would you have said?

• cd84
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been told everything from water/no water, outside/inside. There so far have been very few people I have gone to that have stuck to the same story. I appreciate your help lucy :-) thanks

• lucy
    16 years ago

I think so much of the confusion comes from people all over the world (really) growing their version of a species, tiny, huge, pencil trunk, monster trunk, great soil, lousy mix, natural humidity vs top-of-the-tv in front of the rad, plus very different bkgrnds in bonsai (diff. teachers, books, the guy down the street), and some trees are in-ground for fast growth in California, others crummy mallsai in a 4th fl. Manhattan apt. and no 'outside' at all... Terms of reference alone vary hugely and only time and rabid reading will eventually make sense out of some of it. Do check out www.bonsai4me.com, www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html, www.evergreenggardenworks.com, and whatever local clubs you can find (great learning places!). Good luck, and sorry for the attitude... sometimes one more mismanaged juniper is just one too many - and it's not your fault, it's those dumb 'care' tags - the same thing on African violets as on pines, plus clerks who give you ignorant info, and you just have to plow through somehow. Ciao