Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
420benz

Know nothing about Bonsai trees.

420benz
9 years ago

Would like to get a starter kit for an inside only bonsai.
I saw them on line for 35.00 up to 600.00.
Need help to get started.

Comments (9)

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Hi, so glad you posted because starter kits are almost guaranteed to turn you off bonsai forever. They do not provide any of the real knowledge on growing trees, just tell you how to germinate seeds (if you're lucky) but not what to do once that happens, let alone what to do in terms of bonsai - something that only ever begins after a tree is at least 3-5 yrs old and which requires quite a bit of real knowledge and learning to get it right. I strongly suggest you search for a local club to join and begin getting a feel for what bonsai is about - there's no instant answers and no steps 1 thru 5 to learn overnight... it's a process and a long one, so only you can decide if you're up for starting... and not being there is perfectly ok, in fact you need to be a bit nuts to bother, but if you feel the obsession coming on, then start reading everything you can - Amazon's got cheap 'used' books by the barrel which is good, because no way will one bk, however good and comprehensive begin to cover even a little of what you want... all have biases toward the author's environment/climate, towards the author's experience (in that climate) with whatever trees - tropical, evergreen, deciduous, fruit, etc. etc. are either local to him/her or where he found them (China/Ohio/Denmark...) and which techniques he learned... whether or not he's any good at them. So look at LOTS of books, join clubs, be very careful about corner stores selling 'bonsai' because clerks usually are into selling and more often than not know nothing about growing (tho' have no problem giving out wrong info), and careful about Wal-Mart 'bonsai', etc. etc. Do not go dig up something in a nearby forest, then wonder why it died, and careful about which online sites you look at (the best is probably this one (been around for yrs and is frequented by real experts -

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/f7-bonsai-questions

THIS forum used to be pretty good, but it's been in the real doldrums for quite a while now and only a couple of knowledgable people look in now on any kind of regular basis.

Don't forget that every tree (of potential thousands) has different needs, in different seasons, in diff. environments, with particular soil mixes, sun and water requirements, etc. etc. so you really do need lots of patience.

And if none of that scared you off, welcome to bonsai :)!

This post was edited by moochinka on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 19:17

• 420benz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW : Holy Crap! I just would like to say Thanks for all of that info. I think I am going to look around for an artificial Bonzai. At 75yrs old that is too much trouble for me. Thanks Again.

• CrazyPlantLady1
    9 years ago

Hi Benzmac,
    I beg to differ, but.... I have a 1 year old rooted small Ficus Benjamina 'Too Little' specifically engineered to remain small and make a gorgeous full indoor bonsai in no time. No kit needed, if you can get your hands on a bonsai pot. I have tried many different plants for indoor bonsai and this variety is by far the best for this purpose. It has nice branching, fast growth and good trunk formation. And best of all, you grow it in plain ol' general purpose potting mix. This is the last remaining cutting from last spring. Next spring I will take more from the momma plant as it needs pruning. But this little guy needs a good home if you have a pot.

• CrazyPlantLady1
    9 years ago

Momma bonsai.....4 years old

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Sure anyone can grow a little benjamina houseplant, but he wanted to do bonsai, and even if he stuck with an easy little Ficus, he'd still have to learn about mixes, lighting, pruning, repotting, temps, etc. etc. - and you know it would never end there!

I know what it's like to be 'old' and be starting trees I'll never see when they're old too, whether or not they're trained to look it. It's bad enough to wonder who'll take care of my cat if something happens to me, never mind my trees.

• CrazyPlantLady1
    9 years ago

Moonchicka,
    He's got to start somewhere. Why not start with the easiest and spin-off from there, as knowledge and finances permit? Isn't that how we all get started?
    I was in the same place as he was a few years back. I could have spent a fortune buying special bonsai soils of differing sizes, sifting screens, pots, training wire, etc. But, this was cheap, easy and successful. We all learn from trial and error, why go broke doing it?

• moochinka
    9 years ago

a) I'm Moochinka, not Moonchinka. b) At no time in my note did I emphasize that he needed to spend a fortune, but if someone invests emotionally in any hobby, art, etc. it's likely that some expense will be made, so it went without saying.

• CrazyPlantLady1
    9 years ago

Sorry for the mis-spelling. My old eyes are not what they used to be and have never seen either of those terms before (Moochinka or Moonchicka). It seems I have struck a nerve with you, which was never my intent. I was merely trying to help someone who posted a question.

• moochinka
    9 years ago

No problem, I was just more interested in addressing your note, but sometimes OCD gets in the way :0)!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath