Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nullzero_gw

Top trees and shrubs for bonsai?

nullzero
14 years ago

I am looking for relatively fast growing beautiful & hard trees and shrubs to make bonsai. I want to aim to keep my trees at a height for 1-2' max. So far I have been experimenting with dwarf pomegranate trees. Any suggestions on other trees to look out for? I was thinking maybe olive, specific pines, and a red leaf maple.

Comments (11)

• nullzero
    Original Author
    14 years ago

typo hard=hardy

• larke
    14 years ago

Well, as far as plants go, hardy means cold tolerant, usually needing dormancy below freezing, and therefore grown only as outdoor trees, vs tropicals you'd grow inside except for summer time. But it almost sounds to me like you're wanting to start a business or something, like wanting yards of particular trees rather than caring about individual ones from an artistic standpoint, or trees that you just fall in love with by accident. But, olives are not fast growing, pines require serious knowledge and experience and why limit yourself to red leaf maple (there are hundreds of varieties)? You also haven't put in your 'zone' which makes it hard to recommend anything. If you do want to start a business, there's all kinds of research you need to do re horticultural growing, taking into account weather, insects, suppliers of all kinds of things, etc. etc. and which trees you grow are almost secondary.

• nullzero
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I live in zone 9 southern california. I want to do this as a hobby and also potential for a little side money selling extra trees. I have fairly good knowledge of horticulture, everything down to the optimal PH levels, hardiness zones, optimal soil mixtures, etc.

I would love to have a couple +20yr old bonsais for myself in the future (but need help selecting these, I am pretty set on having at least one of them a dwarf pomegranate). I was thinking of starting a red leaf maple as well, but did not know if I had enough chill hours to maintain a healthy tree.

As for the hardiness I was looking for some good bonsai plants hardy to zone 6-7 (I know the pomegranate and olive don't fit this category however).

When it comes down to it, I am really looking for a favorite tree list or recommendations that are unique and make good bonsais.

Thank you for the replies.

• Jack Reynolds
    14 years ago

nullzero, I also live in Z9 (CA)and have been doing bonsai for over 20 yrs. I would recommend the following trees: Junipers California, procumbens nana, prostrata, foemina; Cypress, bald and Montezuma; Olive both large and small leaf varieties; Chinese elm; Liquidamber both occidentalis and orientalis, flowering quince, pomagranate normal or dwarf, Hackberry, Hornbeam, Zelkova. I cannot keep maples where I am because my summers are too hot and dry and my water is too hard. I also have a greenhouse where I keep some Ficus, salicifolia, microcarpa and benjamina. If you are going to try to have a business then you will need a growing ground and probably a greenhouse also. I am just a hobbiest but I teach a bonsai class one evening a month. Good luck

• nullzero
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the reply jack_r. I take a look at your recommendations.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

How about Cryptomeria japonica varieties?
    I like 'tansu' and 'tenzan.'

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

..... and how can you have a list w/o Jap. black pine and Shimpaku juniper on it?

Al

• bruce8n
    14 years ago

every collection is not complete without at least a couple of satsuki azaleas.there are tons of bonsai clubs in your area,check them out.

bruce

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

Actually any Azalea, we shouldn't forget most boxwood and Eunomomus...

Bob

• ryan_tree
    14 years ago

I'm a fan of using Dawn Redwoods as bonsai. Not exactly a beginner tree though, as their growth habit is crazy.

Ryan

• Jack Reynolds
    14 years ago

Actually I find that I left out some good candidates in my first list. One must include Ginkgo, Bouganvillia, Pyracantha and Shimpaku juniper (I see that someone else added that as well). I do not recommend any pine to a beginner but most bonsai artists eventually must make the move. I would urge caution. Boxwoods do not excite me but that is just a matter of personal taste. I don't think that Azaleas are a good candidate for Z9. Mine fried. Onward, Jack

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler