Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nursing Bonsais back to health

Posted by Emjei California (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 15:57

I have cared for four bonsais now for nearly a year, including a Chinese Elm, Boulevard Cypress, and a flowering bonsai.

I fell ill with a serious health issue in the middle of October, and was sparsely able to water the bonsais. Thankfully it is winter so they require fewer waterings, but there were weeks in a row when I watered them little if not at all.

I am feeling much better now and am back to watering on a regular basis. However, my bonsais have obviously paid the price of neglect. All except the Boulevard have lost their leaves. The flowering bonsai especially seems brittle. However, when I clipped them all back, they still showed signs of greenness (albeit small in the flowering bonsai) so I am hopeful this means I can nurse them back to health.

I am absolutely desperate for any direction on how to do this. Two of the bonsais were anniversary gifts from my husband, and the others are also very precious. I am really upset that I didn't push myself harder to take care of them when I was ill because I know I would regret it deeply if I couldn't bring them back.

I live in Southern California. Should I bring them indoors for the winter? Keep them near a window? If fertilizer, any particular kind?

Thank you in advance for any help you're able to lend. I desperately want to nurse my trees back and care for them a lot. I'll do whatever it takes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nursing Bonsais back to health

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 13:54

There are sooo many what ifs and questions to go over ..... Would you like to have a phone conversation to see what we can figure out? I think a lot more ground can be covered by phone than here. A little back-ground - I've been working at improving my bonsai skills for about 25 years, and am the past pres of our tri-city area bonsai club.

If you think it's a good idea, contact me via my member page.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here