Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spaceo_gw

Dandelion Bonsai

spaceo
16 years ago

I saw a list of unusual bonsai subjects. One was a dandelion. Unfortunatly there were no pics and I can't find one online.

Is anyone here familiar with the idea? I'd like to see one. If not - perhaps someone can tell me - is a dandelion made to look like a tree? it seems pretty incredible. But I have seen English Ivy 'trees'. I know dandelions are popular accents - so perhaps a dandelion bosnai is just a little dandelion?

another forum mentioned a 9 year old dandelion - again no pic.

Comments (7)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    16 years ago

Dandelions make almost no lignin, except what little is in the root, and they die back to the ground each year, so their use in bonsai applications would be limited to 'companion plant' too bonsai, and not bonsai proper. I've seen them used in this manner several times.

Al

• jmcat
    16 years ago

I recently read a book that talked about "bonsaiing" dandelions and other flowers for the practice (if you want, I can post the title. It was completely about mame, which was the main reason why I was interested). It did have a pic, and they did not look like trees. I think the main point was making them smaller, not pruning and shaping them. It might have been to figure out watering, too.
    -Jmcat

• lucy
    16 years ago

jmcat - I'm so curious.. You said "(if you want, I can post the title. It was completely about mame, which was the main reason why I was interested)". It had to have taken at least as long to type that than I bet it would take to type the book's name, so why didn't you just do it?

• jmcat
    16 years ago

I guess the main reason would be that I didn't want anyone to think that I was advertising on GW. Since you seem to be interested, the title is: Bonsai Miniatures, Quick & Easy by Zeko Nakamura. And actually, you're right. It didn't take me very long to type it. What took longer was bringing up a website and loading the PDF file so that I could just cut and paste the title rather than having to walk all the way upstairs to find the title and then type it in. ;)
    -Jmcat

• dennismc
    16 years ago

Hi

It is not possible to make a true trunk for Dandelion.

However, there was a reasonably well known "bonsai" Dandelion in Sydney some years ago. Unfortunately the creator died some time ago and I do not know what happened to it.

His technique was to take advantage of ther carrot-like root. Each year he would exposre more of it. Actually it looked more like a palm than a true tree. Cute anyway.

He used it as a conversational piece and as a soe.

regards
    Dennis Mc

• spaceo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the replys. I can put that mystery to rest. It's nice for a bonsai newbie to get help online.

chopped my first tree today - (ficus too little.) when I get batteries for my digicam I'll post and get a 'grade' from the more experienced.

the grade around the house is 'what the *$&! did you do that to your tree for!?

• jmcat
    16 years ago

I guess I can now start my bonsai book collection with Bonsai Miniatures, which I got for Christmas!
    -Jmcat