Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_plant_addict

Mexican Heather Bonsai Project: Help Wanted

Hi Everyone!

I've had a mexican heather since this summer, the plant grew very bushy but come winter I chopped it back almost to the soil. I was going to keep it indoors throughout the winter and put back out in the summer. As I was looking at it last night, about to water, I thought they already had a good natural bonsai form, so why not try to make them individual.

I'm very new to bonsai and would like as much help and advice as I can get. I'll also be doing my own research online and soon will purchase a bonsai book, any suggestions?

This first photo is of the mexican heather when I took it out of the hanging basket it was in.

{{gwi:23238}}

Here are the three plants I seperated from one big mexican heather to create 3 new bonsai plants.

{{gwi:23239}}

This section I think most resembles the bonsai form, there is also a split in the wood at the base where the two branches make a drastic "V" shape (on the right side )

{{gwi:23240}}

I really like the roots on this section of the plant, I also think this has a bonsai shape but needs to be manipulated a bit.

{{gwi:23241}}

The last section of the main plant has the most thick branches and I am unsure what I should do with this one...

{{gwi:23242}}

The plant had an unbelievable amount of roots but I was able to separate them into different plants. I did not know how much root to cut off so I left enough to let the plant establish itself in the new pot and will replant into a bonsai pot in the spring.

I watered them last night after I transplanted them because the roots felt brittle and dry. Also I ran out of pots so I had to use any pots I could find around my house.

I'll be making gritty mix that the plants will be transplanted in but this will probably be when I transplant them in the spring, unless advised overwise.

Let me know what I should do to make these successful bonsai! I am really exceited about this project! Up next will be a bougainvillea bonsai! :)

Thank you!

Ashley

Comments (2)

Sponsored