Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cotton

Posted by xxbodhixx Zone7 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 31, 07 at 17:28

I live in West Texas and for the past several years have looked out upon the vast cotton fields here and wondered whether or not cotton would survive bonsai life.

I did some searching and only found 1 example on the web, but could not find any information on if it is deciduous. Wikipedia says that it is tropical or subtropical but also says that it doesn't have a minimum temperature requirement??

Has anyone ever tried this experiment or have any insight? I collected several boles today and will plant in the spring. Any insight would be appreciated.

Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cotton

Never heard of it being tried, but don't know enough about growth habit to say one way or another, but does it in fact get a woody trunk, have a reasonable lifespan and possibly bud back (on the lower trunk or rear-ward on branches) if cut? Does the trunk fatten up to any extent and then taper? Of course Cottonwood trees are used, but I've been around bonsai a looong time and no one to my knowledge has even ever raised the issue, though a lot of unusual things have been asked about (i.e. mesquite).

o

I'm not sure if cotton plants will survive for multiple years which would be a first important requirement. I live in Tennessee, and there is plenty of cotton around, but it's always harvested annually, and the remainders of the plants are left to die or plowed under. It is a pretty rough looking plant, so if you could get one to survive for years, it could work.

o

I live in Lubbock, Texas and it is covered in cotton. I know that they spray something on the plants before harvest that makes the plants drop all of it's leaves and open the boll. Then I think they just plow the plant under. No one seems to know if they will live for years if cared for. Not even botanical web sites. It's odd.

o

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/Production_Guides/Cotton/07Cotton-ch-02.pdf
go to that site and read. It is NOT an annual.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotton info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here