Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pallas_athena

Am I on the right track with this Fukien Tea tree?

Pallas_Athena
9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm an experienced orchid and succulent grower who has had success with two bonsai (dwarf jade and Hawaiian umbrella) and one understandable failure with a particularly finicky serissa. My mother, bless her, knew about my disappointment over the serissa and took it upon herself to order me another bonsai as a gift for Christmas--which, unfortunately, turned out to be a Fukien Tea. It's a beautiful specimen and was a lovely gift, but I've tried to steer clear of them as I've read they're nearly as difficult to maintain as serissa. As such, I'd like to keep this one alive and thriving, and I'm ready to give it all I've got.

The tree was shipped with heating packs and arrived still moist and in surprisingly good condition, albeit with three or so yellow leaves from shipping stress. I've gradually acclimated it over the course of a week into a room with a South-facing window with full sun, and a strong humidifier that I already use to care for my orchids. The bonsai also has a humidity tray filled with rocks to keep the roots from rotting. It gets two hours of direct afternoon sun, and the rest is about 10 hours of bright sun (more in the summer--I'm located in Columbus, OH currently). It has dropped a total of about 4 leaves and there are some more yellow ones on there, but the rest are a lovely glossy green, and it even has little berries developing. I've attached some photos--does anyone have any tips beyond a) keeping it moist, not soggy in the soil/gravel mix, b) keeping the humidity up, c) keeping it in sunlight, and d) watching for mealies? I'd love to keep it looking nice.

{{gwi:2117809}}
{{gwi:2117810}}
{{gwi:2117811}}
{{gwi:2117812}}
{{gwi:2117813}}
{{gwi:2117814}}
{{gwi:2117815}}
{{gwi:2117816}}
{{gwi:2117817}}

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!