Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chinese Elm Winter

Posted by sedonakid66 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 17:59

Hello all,

I am wondering the best method to ocer winter my small chinese elm here in pa. I am thinking in the garage, but just check the soil often?

I am not an expert, but really would like to get good at this.

Thanks all

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chinese Elm Winter

I am in PA and I have my elms in a sun room with no heat. They all still have leaves and continue to grow but have hardened off. I am no expert either though.

o

That is pretty neat Jon. I wish I had a sun room. I may wrap it with some burlap and find a good place in the garage until Spring, and look forward to seeing it come back.......

Thanks

o

Here is something I copied from a bonsai site. Hope this helps.

Chinese Elm might be both indoor as well as outdoor bonsai. It appears as semi-evergreen tree when it is planted as an indoor bonsai and as a deciduous tree when it is grown as an outdoor bonsai. These plants are considered to be frost hardy, but most varieties can be acclimatised to outdoor conditions only with time and should still be given frost protection as sub zero temperatures can damage roots and branches. Cold wind can be also harmful for the plant.

o

Thak you all. Right now I have it indoors in a room that is quite cool and not very bright light. It has lost some leaves, but is ok.

Next year I may let it start to go dormant outdoors, I got it as a xmas gift so I had a late start.

Rich

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here