Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Cryptomeria japonica 'tansu'

Hi, all.

Thought I'd breathe a bit of life into the Forum by posting a couple pics and asking a question to go with them. Here's my Cryptomeria japonica 'tansu' (Japanese dwarf red "cedar," or so the label would indicate).

First pic from August:

{{gwi:23497}}

Last month, it started to get some rusty orange interior branch die-back. I was worried. But the die-back seemed limited, so I didn't bother posting my fears at the time. Second pic from last month:

{{gwi:23500}}

Now the whole thing has 'colored' slightly, so I'm hoping that this is all part of the winter bronzing. I received the tree as a gift last January, so this is technically my first full winter. Third and fourth pics show the darker coloration, as of a day or two ago:

{{gwi:23503}}

{{gwi:23506}}

Anyhow, there you can see the progression, as well as some of the orangy-purplish hues. The foliage is still soft....something I've been checking frequently. If the needles turn brittle, I'll know to scrap the thing! I'm assuming the tree is fine, but would like some re-assurance. You know how it is. ;)

Thanks for any insight you might offer.

Josh

Comments (24)

• lucy
    15 years ago

Hi Josh, that's a fun thing to work on, and I wouldn't worry much about the few brown needles at the bottom and inside as they're probably just the usual 'old' ones being shed annually. The tinge is likely just from the cold, or if you think it isn't, is it getting watered too often? I am a bit curious as to why you haven't just planted it out to really fatten up, considering you certainly could where you live, and possibly thin the apex a little, though if that's part of your plan for later, then you'll leave it I guess.

• mganga
    15 years ago

I noticed the change in pot for the tree. Might this also be part of the reason for the change in needle colour? When did you re-pot the tree? Hope you can save it.
    Peace,
    JR

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Lucy!
    Thanks! I knew you'd ask why I haven't put it in-ground yet! You're right, of course....I'm just worried about protecting it from deer properly, and I want to be able to turn it toward the sun. But you're right, to get a fat trunk it needs to be planted out. I also agree about thinning the apex....I do plan to open up the tree, but I'm not ready to do any styling just yet.

I was worried about excess water during the winter, so I re-potted (slip-potted?) in perlite, gravel, and bark (the usual).

Mganga, good eye!
    I put it into a larger, deeper pot for the winter and because I read somewhere that they prefer a deeper pot for the roots. I didn't do any 'root work,' as it were, just plopped the tree into a pot and filled with the perlite-based mix mentioned above.

I guess I'll know by Spring! ;)

Josh

• omniphasic
    15 years ago

This variety does naturally change color during the cooler months,and is named 'Japanese Red Cedar'.Make sure you keep it outdoors and in morning sun only during the warmer months.Yours is a nice speciman,with much potential.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Omni, thanks for stopping by!
    I appreciate the compliment! I hope this tree turns into something special, too! It's definitely a Japanese "cedar"...no question about that! And this is a dwarf, purportedly one of the slowest growing tsugi (is that correct usage?).

Yes, I'm aware that this tree changes color - I referred to this as the natural 'winter bronzing' in my initial posting. There are some really cool Threads here at GardenWeb on Cryptomeria (in winter color), if you're interested.

Lastly, I would NEVER DREAM of bringing this tree indoors...! I'm in California, zone 7/8!

Thanks again!

Josh

• norcalconifers
    15 years ago

I grow many types of cryptos, most "bronze" somewhat in the winter. 'Tansu' is a favorite. Yours has an appealing form. I like them because they never get out of hand. There is a great companion , named 'tensan' that is even denser. A little bit if die back is not anything to worry about. It looks healthy.
    Steven

Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Steven!
    I'll post new photos after the spring flush!

Josh

• djjin14568
    15 years ago

Your tree looks very much like a Juniper species in the photos.. But, I'm certainly no expert... I'm wondering how closely related to the junipers family Cedars are? Other than the trunk color, which looks less "reddish" than most of the junipers I've seen, the foliage and growth look identical.

I mostly only have Junipers and, on those it is usually ideal to remove any browned foliage and wait for new buds/shoots.

But, since this is Cryptomeria japonica 'tansu' that might be bad advice to mess with any foliage brown or not.

Original Author
    15 years ago

It's not a Juniper, it's a Cryptomeria for certain.

In the spring, when the growth season starts again, I'll pinch back new foliage. For the time being, it's best to just wait. No rush.

Josh

Original Author
    15 years ago

The 'tansu' is greening again, so I'm sure it'll be fine.
    Thanks to all who re-assured me! Thought I'd add an update....
    I couldn't wait for the new growth, however.
    Pics from this afternoon.

Josh
    {{gwi:23509}}

{{gwi:23512}}

• norcalconifers
    15 years ago

Looking very nice!
    This crypto is one of my favorites, I enjoy the uneven bronzing in winter. The shape is just incredible. If you can find one, a 'Tenzan' is a great companion.
    Steven

Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy, Steven!
    Thanks for the suggestion - I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 'Tenzan.' I'm very
    pleased with this little tree so far, and I'd like to grow some larger varieties
    in the yard eventually. The uneven bronzing creates unique layers, indeed!

Josh

• norcalconifers
    15 years ago

Last year I did a bunch of cuttings os a very, very congested variety i was told was 'Ed Wood'. I cannot find any mention of this type anywhere else, but it is super congested, so much that when you poke it, the entire plant wiggles. It bronzes excatly like Tansu. If you want one, let me know and I can send you one.
    Steven

• hikari
    15 years ago

Looking good there! :)

• dsdevries
    15 years ago

I would most certainly pop this tree back into the ground for a number of years. Fatten up the trunk and building a proper branch-structure. If planting it in the ground isn't an option, i would set it in a medium sized, black cement-mixing-cup. These attract sufficient warmth to ensure maximum growth. if a sement-mixing-cup isn't available, build a wooden crate, or just use a orange-crate and lay it in with a fine gauze to hold the soil. just let it grow during the growing season and cut back the long shoots every year in spring to just a view needles long before the new buds pop. continue this cylce for a few years to insure a proper renewal of the branches.

Good luck!

Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, ds.
    The problem with planting in-ground (in my yard) is twofold: heliotropism and deer.
    First, I like to turn my plants often - very often - sometimes to encourage the plant
    to take a "set," sometimes to avoid a "set." In-ground, I lose that option. Second, the deer.
    I could cage this tree, but I don't really have a place for a caged tree in the proper
    areas of the yard.

I might consider a wooden growing box, indeed. I potted this Tansu up not long ago, so I'll
    go ahead and let it fill this terra cotta container with roots - then I'll bump it up again.

Last spring, my first spring with the tree, I did pinch out the long and/or large-needled
    growth. I look forward to the flush of new growth this year!
    Thanks again,

Josh

Original Author
    15 years ago

Steven,
    I'd like to e-mail you about that 'Ed Wood' offer...

Josh

• beachplant
    15 years ago

Nice tree and great advice. This is the reason I lurk here, to learn something.
    Tally Ho!

Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:23515}}

I chopped the very top off - about two inches.

Josh

• ryan_tree
    14 years ago

Did you buy this from somewhere? Brussel's bonsai has Cryptomeria that look similar to yours. I like yours. Such great trees.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Ryan.
    This little Cryptomeria was a birthday gift from my sister, two Januaries ago.
    She purchased it at a local nursery, in the bonsai starter section. I think it was $4.99
    I recently purchased another Cryptomeria, as well - called 'Sekkan sugi.' That one
    is for the yard, however.

Josh

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

Hey Josh...that would look great planted in the 'pond' area of my big Water Jasmine!!!

;))

Bob

Original Author
    14 years ago

This Crypto is just a wee little thing! ;)
    It would be swallowed by your Water Jasmine!

Josh

Original Author
    12 years ago

Greetings!

This Winter has been especially wonderful for conifer color, with Cryptomeria the stars of the show!

You might remember this little guy, my 'Tansu.'

{{gwi:23518}}

{{gwi:23522}}

{{gwi:23524}}

And just for good measure, here's another Cryptomeria that's showing nice rust purple coloration.
    Purchased as 'Vilmoriniana,' but it has been suggested that this cultivar is actually 'Black Dragon.'

{{gwi:23526}}

Josh

Sponsored