Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
head_cutter

An interesting case...

head_cutter
14 years ago

...of reverse discrimination.

One of my goals here in 'Mayberry' has been to be the first westerner to display a tree during the annual Tet Festival. They have a pretty nice showing (trees you have to know people to see any other time) and I thought it would be another nice 'first' for this transplant.

My big FT has come along very well and, after re-potting and a lot of pruning is in nice enough shape to be shown this year. Its quality is at least as good as 60% of the trees I've seen in the previous displays.

I went to the Cultural Center and asked what I had to do, the woman said to fill out a few forms but she didn't have them that day. In the meantime my director was talking to a friend of his in the local Bonsai Association (which I have been trying to join) and he said 'no way!'

It turns out that all of the members are good Communists and they don't want me in there...OMG!! Their nice way of saying I don't qualify was that I had to have a tree valued at 50.000.000VND (translates to about $30.000USD).

This got my buddy Tuan (not a good Commie) all fired up and we're going back to the Cultural Center this week to get the paperwork and fill it out.

In the meantime I will continue cleaning and tweeking the tree...just in case.

Bob

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks