Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

Gardenia japonica 'Radicans'

brandon7 TN_zone7
15 years ago

I know quite a bit about plants, but very very little about bonsai. I hope you guys can tell me everything I need to know about this plant I received as a gift. It was labeled with "Gardenia japonica 'Radicans'" and "Indoor Gardenia" and planted in a bonsai pot. You all are supposed to know everything about plants potted in bonsai pots, right? (-;

My first concern is the name. I am fairly certain that Gardenia japonica 'Radicans' is not a real name at all. A little poking around has led me to believe that the real name might be Gardenia jasminoides f. radicans. I admit that I didn't try to verify this name by examining characteristics of my plant, but it's the only real valid name I see that is similar to the name on the tag. Maybe the people that printed the tag were just a little careless. Anyone have any other ideas about the name?

My second concern is how to take care of the plant. My climate is just barely 7b and I'm thinking that keeping this plant outdoors year around might be pushing the envelope a little. Also, I can just imagine that up until a few days ago, it has probably been grown in some plant factory and hasn't even thought about hitting the ~20 degree F weather outside.

So besides ideas about the correct name, I'd love to know what I should do with this plant to give it the best possibility of living. Once I figure out a plan for keeping it alive, I'm going to start considering whether or not to train it as a bonsai specimen. So far, the only real bonsai thing about my plant is the neat looking pot.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida