Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to bonsai/New to Florida

Posted by rlugo Fl (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 6, 09 at 20:40

I'm thinking of Bonsai as my new hobby. I know that certain trees fair better in certain areas. I am new to my area and its climate. I just moved from Ohio to Largo Florida. I'm wondering what trees might be good for me to start with in this climate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to bonsai/New to Florida

I recommend Ficus microcarpa, Ficus salicifolia, and bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). They are well adapted to the climate of Florida and readily available. You should also join a bonsai club. You can find one on the internet I'm sure by going to the websites of The American Bonsai Society or Bonsai Clubs International or just Google "bonsai clubs". Membership in a club will get you up that old learning curve much faster. Good luck, Jack

o

Thanks Jack, I will look into it.

o

I've been getting a few Ficus microcarpa from Home Depot that could fit into six inch pots but I've put them into ten inch pots because I want them to get the big fat roots . I read they are slow growing . Do you have any suggestions on how to get the roots bigger ? Or I'll just have to wait 5 or 8 yrs and take it out of the pot ? What is your suggestion on getting the big fat roots on a ficus ?

o

If you want big roots you must let the top of the tree go wild. The roots get their nourishment from the leaves. More leaves mean bigger roots. So you must fertilize, and water your tree for the most growth. The larger pot will help also. Happy growing. Jack

o

Rlugo,
how about a Desert Rose (Adenium)? From a seedling, they develop a nice, fat caudex.
From a cutting, the roots intertwine to eventually produce a massively-twisted rootflare.
In Florida, Desert Rose will flower most of the year, and it also responds well to pruning.

Josh

o

Thanks Josh, I just looked it up and am adding it to the list. I think I will try all of the above. I'd like to start some from scratch, but I'd also like to buy something that has been trained/bonsai-ed a bit (I guess that's the term). This way I will have something decent to look at. Anyone know of any shops near me?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here