Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Juniper Christmas Gift: dormancy or not?

Posted by Juliencm22 none (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 22:55

Hi guys,

So I've browsed a lot of old messages but decided to write my own.

I received a Japanese Juniper Bonsai for Christmas, and it seems to be very healthy! It is green and not brittle, so I don't think it is dead.

So, I'm wondering if I should put it outside in order for it to go dormant this winter. Or is it too late for that? Instead, should I keep it inside?

I live in Philadelphia, where winters are not harsh, but real: it is often 20-40 degrees F on any given week from now until March (Philadelphia is "zone 6," apparently.)

I live in an apartment with a balcony; one room in my apartment is significantly cooler than the others (around 50 degrees, while the apartment is around 63).

I was reading that if I put the juniper outside, it will be shocked to death, so it's best to leave it inside JUST this winter.

I really don't want to kill my first bonsai! Any and all help is much appreciated :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Juniper Christmas Gift: dormancy or not?

Leave it in the coolest possible place inside this year, remove any layer of pebbles that's glued or sealed on by prying edges carefully, and don't water at all until the whole pot's dry (use a chopstick to check, like a dipstick), then do water completely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here