Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
affairwithvintage

Started a Bonsai..

Jason J
9 years ago

Not exactly sure, why I started this. I have been waiting to start a bonsai for a while. So I figured I will start this winter as all the shrubs are now dormant. I found a really nice pot and then I went looking for a specimen. Found this poor Blue Spruce that was obviously root bond, figure this will make something really nice. So I started it today, I am lucky living in Arizona I have literally a rock query in the back yard. So I found a rock that I though the root structure would look good on. Next was the design, amazing how long it takes to figure out the rock formation, how to wire it together, teasing the roots apart, periodic soaking of the root ball, then placing the specimen on, figuring out how to attach it. And then working on the canopy. I do thoroughly enjoy it, I have always liked designing miniature landscapes and love shaping trees/shrubs. Here are some photos, still have some work to do. Would like to remove some more canopy so the roots that were loss doesn't cause to much stress on it. Will get some more pictures tomorrow..

First rock I choose...didn't like it...

{{gwi:2117826}}

new rock

{{gwi:2117827}}

Blue Spruce
{{gwi:2117828}}

{{gwi:2117829}}

New rock

{{gwi:2117827}}

{{gwi:2117830}}

{{gwi:2117831}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?